[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
No, gun manufacturers or orange growers aren’t responsible, but that’s because they don’t introduce the ability to kill, merely one way of doing it. If I want to kill someone, and I can’t buy a gun, there are other methods I could use. But if the only way to kill someone was by using a gun, and someone sold one to me, yes, i’d consider them partially responsible. They’ve provided the means for me to be able to kill someone. Just as God provides the means for us to kill.
[/QUOTE]
Well, gun manufacturers don’t provide you with a way to kill, they provide you with a way to put a projectile in motion. You choose to use it to kill, you could just as easily use it only for target practice, hunting, self-defense or any other legal use that is no murdering your fellow men.
Think of a car for a better example. You can drive a car down the sidewalk and run over a hundred people but that is not what the car was built to do. The car manufacturer is not responsible for those deaths.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
In what way? You’re assuming an objective morality again. If I can rephrase your question to “Do these animals have a capacity to understand morality?” I would say possibly for chimps, I don’t know enough about dolphins to say, and unlikely for ants.
…
I would say some animals do suffer, yes.
Can you ponder the implications of it? Well, I kinda resent the implication that under my worldview we’re all foolish creatures who can’t begin to even think about philosophy, but yes, I’d say we can do so. If you cease to exist at death, yes, the conditions of that death matter. I do not believe in any gods, but I have my own morality. I care about people, and things. I am an emotional being; I fear death, and my ceasing to exist. From a logical point, that’s stupid; if I cease to exist, I won’t be there to be scared. But I ponder these things, and I see no reason why a world with no God would be unable to.
[/QUOTE]
I know this is an unpopular view but in what way are your feelings, sufferings and morals different from those of animals? Your thought processes can be more complex than theirs but they are fundamentally the same.
If you (humanely) amputate a dog’s leg, the dog is aware of its loss but carries on as best as it can without that leg. Humans do the exact same. In the face of all suffering, they carry on the best they can. Even if they are overwhelmed and go mental, they continue to live. And if they decide to end their own lives, they are capable of carrying it out. Suffering is not a show stopper, it is just part of life.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
You said that suffering stems from a non-acceptance of God. Athiests do not believe god exists; in some cases, they may even deny the possibility altogether (that’s not me, by the way). Thus, they are less accepting of God than a theist, and so suffer more. By this logic, an athiest suffers most, then theists of other faiths, and finally adherents of the “true” religion, who suffer least for their acceptance of God.
[/QUOTE]
How can you suffer the non-acceptance of something that doesn’t exist? A theist suffers because he cannot accept that his pain comes from God’s love. An atheist has no such problem. For him, suffering comes as part of the package deal of life and that’s that.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
My point was that during life I cannot choose to accept God. During life, that choice isn’t open to me. I can’t do it any more than I can choose to fly. It’s just not within my power. After death, maybe. But not now.
[/QUOTE]
Yes. That’s fine. In Judgement you will see God and chose to accept Him or not. In life, your ignorance of God is not a burden on you.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
But she does do things to prove it. I’m sorry to use this argument, and I really mean no offense, but if she for some reason acted as if she didn’t love you, if she walked out with all her things and divorced you and so on, would you still be as sure she loved you? God isn’t like that, because in the end belief in God does seem to just depend on believing in your “heart” that God exists, despite evidence that that isn’t so. I have nothing against that, of course, only against your idea that knowing something is so is enough to say it is so.
[/QUOTE]
Her leaving and divorcing me would be irrefutable proof that she does NOT love me and therefore I would need no faith to believe she loves me. In absence of such, I believe. Even if faced with facts I cannot understand. If she fails an appointment, burns my birthday cake, makes a crazy financial decision without consulting me or whatever, I will struggle to reconcile that with my belief that she loves me until I can make it fit or get a satisfactory explanation of why that fault happened. That explanation will not be proof that she loves me, just make the fault not be proof of her not loving me.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
But it’s all from the starting point of “God exists”. You’re looking at the world through skewed eyes; you should be taking a more impartial approach, at least in terms of your intellectual process.
If your understanding can never get to 100%, how do you know what you think you do is right? You know that God is all-loving, but you can’t know that for certain. You know that God is omnipotent, but again, your understanding is lacking, so he could easily not be. Note that i’m not arguing he doesn’t exist, here, just that your understanding of his true existence is flawed.
[/QUOTE]
We all start from some set of core beliefs. Call them axioms or dogma they are just as unprovable. Based on those and my observations of the world, I come up with theories and try to make sense of it all.
Think of gravitation. We don’t have a watertight mechanism for how it works at its most basic level but we have a very good understanding of its effects and use them for everything from walking to playing ball to sending objects to space. Not only that, but even with its gaps, our understanding of it is good enough to pin very sophisticated theories around it. Not knowing the bottom of it is no impediment to thinking about it. Our empirical knowledge of it is sufficient base to build thought around it.
My only addition to what you believe is that God exists (“God is”, really). Something I take from personal experience and am as prepared to defend and justify as you are prepared to defend and justify that two parallel lines meet in infinity (exactly). Everything else I believe about God other than His existence is a product of my thought processes. Imperfect and flawed but correct to the best of my abilities and open to refinement as all other theories.