[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Fair enough. Surely, in that case, there is no point to the birth of children if they are unfortunetly killed soon after birth (or aborted, depending on your beliefs)? They have no chance to inflict suffering on others or to suffer; are they then unable to make a choice for or against salvation?
[/QUOTE]
This I can answer with a quote from someone whose opinion I trust:
[QUOTE=Sapo on post #54]
They will eat The Cookie in Life Eternal. And they need not have any sin. If they have none, they will have none to respond for. And before you say they are then getting a free pass and it is us getting shafted for not being that lucky to die without sin to respond for, that doesn’t mean they will have no challenge in front of God. They will have to face the pardon of all those who did commit sin (even agains them) and accept to share Salvation with them.
[/QUOTE]
That dude sounds like he knows what he is talking about. ![]()
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
I would imagine it would be different in the “actually having suffered” part. Would it be insufficient? That would, normally, depend on whether or not you accepted the implanted knowledge as being different from experienced knowledge, which of course we can’t know one way or the other. However, this is a special case; God’s omnipotent. So yes, God can do it without it being insufficient.
[/QUOTE]
Well, would you know the difference between having been in love and having a memory implanted of having been in love? Only the experience of being in love can let you know what being in love is.
God is omnipotent but not irrational, illogical or capricious.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Erm, the opposite of “all suffering” is “no suffering”. That there must be some suffering is just another argument.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is another argument and the one where I started. It was you who introduced “all suffering” and “no suffering”.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
The problem with some suffering is; well, how much? If we assume God exists, the correct answer would probably be “just enough to allow us to understand suffering, and no more”; since he’s benevolent, he’d let us experience the amount of suffering that’s appropriate, but not any added pointless suffering that won’t change our decision. Which is perfectly reasonable in and of itself; after all, all people are different, and so they’d probably need to know suffering to different amounts. That would tend to imply, however, strange similarities for suffering across cultures in examples of genocide.
[/QUOTE]
Too many assumptions there. We do not know the scale of suffering. Who says it goes linearly from pinprick to genocide? There might be sufferings that are orders of magnitude higher than genocide that would shred a soul apart. There might be different types of suffering that don’t measure to each other. People have survived genocides and lived not just to tell the tale but to flourish. Some people have killed themselves over menial things. How much is too much, how much is enough?
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Alternatively, it could be that God does not actually control the amount of suffering; he gives us the capacity to understand it, but (since free will is his top priority) he doesn’t dole it out; he lets us do that. Unfortunetly that would mean that some people get much more suffering than they need, which is obviously bad, but also that some people get less - which on the face of it is pretty good for them, but it means they don’t know suffering enough to make the decision of salvation.
[/QUOTE]
Yes to your premise, no to your conclusion (for the reasons explained just above)
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
And i’m sure there are such people. I’m merely pointing out that there are other people - people who cause suffering, but think that they are in the right - who won’t learn about suffering. They are incapable of it. I don’t think i’m able to convince you that such people exist, however, so I think this in particular is going to be a dead-end argument on both sides.
[/QUOTE]
I do believe that such people exist. It is just that, at the time of judgement, whatever was clouding their judgement will be cleared and they will be able to examine their life with full knowledge and understanding. And if they understood the suffering but just didn’t think of it as a negative because they thought they were serving a greater good, then there was no sin.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Good point, actually. I could have had the choice, but then had my memory wiped of it. Wouldn’t that mean, though, that I am not knowledgeable of the choices presented to me?
[/QUOTE]
Not at the present time. At Judgement, you will be.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
And on top of that, I’m an atheist. I don’t believe that God exists; I don’t feel him nor see him in the world. Clearly, if God does exist, I am not knowledgable of the choice to follow him.
[/QUOTE]
Again, at Judgement you will know, you will see and you will feel.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
I’d say it would, to some extent, in that it would cause them to have different reactions to people and things. But there’s a difference between being blind and not being empathic; blindness stops you from seeing, from taking in information of a certain kind. Not being empathic is a function of the self, a part of what you’d call “me”. If I take a calculator and let it work by voice-recognition, it’s still a calculator. But if I add in a letter-recognising function and some information, it’s now a calculator and a dictionary.
[/QUOTE]
Empathy is another input, an ability to perceive. But let’s not let that stop us. Differenty psychopathies exist that are not perceptual. Still, give or take abilities, the person remains.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
That’s true. But plenty of people in history have done something bad for the greater good - and often our idea of good is very different from theirs (And there’s still the people who cause suffering but think it’s ok anyway).
[/QUOTE]
Sin requires the intention to sin. A misguided bad deed is the easiest to excuse.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
This is something I don’t think i’ll ever understand. If you find that there’s something that doesn’t make sense about your god, why do theists still believe?
[/QUOTE]
It is not that it doesn’t make sense. It is just that we cannot understand it. Still, when you fall in love, there can be things about your SO that don’t make sense to you but you are still in love.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
But you’re just taking that on faith. It seems like, according to your beliefs, that Hitler will get it much easier than you or me. But you have faith in another belief that means this isn’t so. Faith I get, but faith that your other faith is wrong?
[/QUOTE]
I simply didn’t get that. At all. So I will just repost what you were responding to:
I don’t see that he is getting an easier path to Salvation. As I said, a retrospective view of a life with a heightened perception could be a terrible burden to bear. That is one of my starting points. That all people have the same potential for Salvation. Otherwise we would all be crying foul at the injustice of not having died before birth so we would have no sins to account for.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Can you really extricate pain from tactile sensation? From self-perception? Yes, God can. An omnipotent being is perfectly capable of removing the pain but still allowing us to feel the sensation of being tackled.
[/QUOTE]
At what point does the perception of pressure becomes painful? For everyone?
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
You’re quite correct; God could be protecting us from some amount of pain that we would normally experience. But we do still feel pain. If someone hits me with a baseball bat and God comes along and switches it for a cosh; well, that’s nice of him, but i’m still getting hit. “no more than we can handle” isn’t good enough for a benevolent being; it really should be none.
[/QUOTE]
That’s your standard. But again, in order for me to be free to inflict suffering on you, you must be able to suffer.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
That would be a “yes”, then, I think. There is no need for experience on Earth, either. Yet, we choose to experience things. If that choice is taken away from us by God - if, in fact, we are locked in a single moment of eternal bliss - that’s nice, but kinda takes away from the whole free will business. And if we’re just going to be locked up there anyway, what’s the point of having people pick between that and non-salvation (whatever you believe that to entail)?
[/QUOTE]
When you are omniscient, you don’t change your mind. There is nothing else to consider. Knowledge is static. Your decisions are, therefore, final. You are not artificially locked nor restrained. You are Eternal. There is no time.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Hey, you might kill a Doper I like! Besides, i’m enjoying this argument. I’d hate for it to be cut short by you being arrested. ![]()
[/QUOTE]
A very charitable feeling… …for an atheist, that is ![]()
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Ok, let me sort this out. We need to be able to cause suffering to be moral (and choose not to); in order to cause suffering, we need to know it, and thus we are put in a position where we can know it. Is that correct?
[/QUOTE]
We are put in a position where we can choose between causing suffering or not. You insist on putting the stress on the “educational” part of suffering. I insist on putting it on the choice part.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
If so, what’s the difference between that and me saying that we need to be able to cause bleenwort to be moral; in order to cause bleenwort, we need to know it, and we should be in a position where we can know it. Why are we not in a position to know bleenwort?
We don’t have bleenwort, either. And plenty of people are unable to cause (or experience) suffering, or to understand it. These people, therefore, cannot be free, capitalisation or otherwise.
[/QUOTE]
Morality is the choice between good or evil. Suffering is a consequence of evil. If bleenwort is a consequence of evil, let’s discuss it. Otherwise, bleenwortality is irrelevant.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Choosing strawberry is not a moral choice. Choosing to live is. But yes, you’re right, I don’t know whether I did or not. I wonder what happens to those who choose otherwise?
[/QUOTE]
I know strawberry is not a moral choice. All I am saying is that you cannot choose an option that is not made available to you.
And wonder we must until all is revealed.