[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Now i’m very confused. I think you’re saying that suffering does have an eternal effect on the person, but that it does not have an eternal negative effect. Is this right, or have I misunderstood again?
[/QUOTE]
A couple paragraphs down you seemed to have accepted my scraped knee analogy. Is this a different question?
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
My point about experiencing every kind of suffering was that you said we were on this Earth in order to experience suffering and understand it. By that logic, I should experience every kind of suffering, because otherwise I can never fully understand it.
[/QUOTE]
No. Of course not. You do not need to drive every car to learn how to drive. You don’t need to love every person to know Love.
And I am not saying life is the Suffering 101 lab. What I am saying is that the freedom to do evil and inflict suffering is what makes us Moral beings and that you cannot know what it means to inflict suffering on others without having experienced suffering yourself. (plus it seems only fair that if you get to dish it you have to be able to get some, too)
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
The opposite of this argument of course is that I don’t need to experience suffering to understand it. And if I don’t need to actually experience suffering, I don’t need to be on Earth at all. I’m confused. What is the difference between knowledge obtained by experience and knowledge obtained through God flicking his fingers? Are you suggesting that God is unable to grant us knowledge of suffering or love without actually exposing us to it? Alright. I just wanted to clarify. My arguments are coming out of what arguments you’re making. I don’t have an “atheism playbook” that I copy what i’m saying out of.
[/QUOTE]
You guys don’t have a playbook? You really need to up your game. 
How would a magically implanted experiential knowledge of suffering be different from having experienced suffering? And if it is, wouldn’t it be insufficient?
And no, the opposite argument to “you have to experience all suffering” is not “you have to experience no suffering”. You are leaving out the reasonable “you have to experience some suffering”, as previously explained,
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
My point with this was; if we are on Earth to learn about suffering, or to experience it, then for there to be people who are unable to learn about suffering or experience it is pointless. There should be no such people. I merely used the analogy of a test since it was the best thing I could think of at the time. How about this, then; imagine a psychopathic person, who does not care for anyone or anything. This person is free to do whatever they like on Earth, as are we all. When this person stands before God, it would be easy for them to select salvation (assuming they wanted this); they feel they have done no wrong.
[/QUOTE]
Again, we are not here to learn. But imagine the sufering of suddenly looking back on your life and seeing all the damage you have caused without knowing it then. There are plenty of this kinds of experiences in mortal life. A recovering alcoholic who sees all the damage he did to his family while intoxicated (when he wasn’t really in control and not directly responsible). A terribly selfish or callous person who is humbled by a life experience and changes. Some people in real life can’t easily cope with a retrospective analysis of their previous wrongdoings, even if they can be exculped from them.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
To reference a point you make later; let’s assume then that, on death, he is stripped of his blindness as to others and becomes an empathic being. Surely, then, he is a different person than the one he was on Earth? This new empathic being has not experienced suffering or love either. Again, that such a person exists seems pretty pointless. Mortal life isn’t the actualization of our moral choices. After all, we didn’t choose to be created and put on Earth. The results of that may be partially our choice (since we do not have free reign on Earth) but we did not select the original situation. I’ve addressed this up-post a bit.
[/QUOTE]
Are you sure you didn’t choose to be put on earth? That is not the point, though. What I am saying is that for us to be Moral, we need to be Free and to be Free we have to be knowledgeable of the choices presented to us. Our choices in life are not only moral (no caps) but a repercussion of our Moral choices.
As for your example of a psycopath. Would giving a physically blind person the ability to see make him a different person? His life would change of course, but he would still be the same person. The same John Doe. The same brain/mind. Just with a heightened perception of the world around him.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Yes, you can really know suffering and know you are causing it and not see it as wrong. You yourself have made the argument that it is so; a father who lets go of his son’s bike when teaching him to ride. That causes suffering, if minor, but the father thinks it right to do.
[/QUOTE]
But that is a necessary suffering that leads to a much greater good than the suffering itself. Not only that but it is an unintended suffering. A secondary effect of an action with a different primary effect.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
No, I don’t need to see the human causers of suffering suffer. After all, while they may have some blame for what they do, in a universe with a God it is his ultimate responsibility. God should be the one suffering for his sins.
[/QUOTE]
Well, that is the POE to which I started saying I had no answer. I was just addressing the POS. If God knows what we will choose before we choose it, why create people who will choose Damnation? And if God knows what we will choose before we choose it, are we really Free to choose? That is an issue for which I have no immediate answer.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
And we’re still left with the problem that Hitler will get salvation much easier than you or me, beings with conscience. Does that really seem fair to you?
[/QUOTE]
I don’t see that he is getting an easier path to Salvation. As I said, a retrospective view of a life with a heightened perception could be a terrible burden to bear. That is one of my starting points. That all people have the same potential for Salvation. Otherwise we would all be crying foul at the injustice of not having died before birth so we would have no sins to account for.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Yes, and that reason is doing it in real life is funner than a computer game. Not because of the pain, but because of the adrenaline and the physical activity and the, well, fun of it. Yes, you could really play football with no sensation of pain, and yes, it would be fun. And hey, parents wouldn’t need to worry about their kids, either! Happiness all round.
[/QUOTE]
Can you really extricate pain from tactile sensation? from selfperception? If what you are asking for is just a limiter on the sensation, something that takes the edge of pain but still lets you get the useful sensation of having been tackled to the ground, then my answer is: How do you know there isn’t one?. How do you know there isn’t a much greater suffering that we are prevented from feeling. As they say, God squeezes but doesn’t crush. I have seen people overcome all different kinds of suffering. I don’t think we are getting more than we can handle.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
So no, then? After salvation, we are drugged, happy zombies? Beings who experience no sin or suffering, nor can cause it?
[/QUOTE]
Again, we are Eternal. Time is not a succession. We are static in the plenitude of our choice. There is no need for experience.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Seems rather pointless to be put on Earth at all, really, if all the experience we have won’t be taken into account afterwards. You have never killed anyone (I assume
). You don’t understand that form of suffering. Is it not necessary to understand suffering in order to make us the person we will be when we face the choice of salvation? And if it isn’t necessary, why do we need to suffer at all?
Oh, and can we inflict suffering after salvation?
[/QUOTE]
Don’t stress too much about my killing habits. I am an ocean away.
We have been through all this already but here goes a real quick recap. Our mortal experience does matter. It changes us and defines us in that it shapes our choice for Salvation. Suffering is necessary because our ability to cause it is what makes us Moral beings.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
You keep repeating this; it’s just not so. Removing suffering from the world does not make it make-believe, unless you are saying all forms of experience other than that of suffering on Earth are simply role-playing.
[/QUOTE]
Again, if you remove suffering, you remove our ability to cause it and with it our ability to make moral choices, to be Free.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
After all, I could add something we can’t do; let’s say, the ability to choose not to be born. A world without this choice is just make-believe. Role-playing. Doll-House Tea Time.
[/QUOTE]
For one, you don’t know that you don’t get too choose not to be born. Secondly, if I ask you if you want vanilla or chocolate, you can’t choose strawberry. There are limits to human freedom.