[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
At all? You’ve said that the suffering on Earth is inconsequential, but not that it isn’t bad at all. Is that what you’re saying now? Suffering on Earth doesn’t harm you a single bit?
[/QUOTE]
No. That is what you are saying I am saying because that might be easier for you to counter. I am saying that suffering doesn’t diminish the victim’s potential for salvation. In a trascendental way, suffering is powerless on the victim. It places the full of its burden on its agent.
Again, suffering must affect the victim to be real (to which you answered that you had to commit or suffer every sin once, which would be more of an answer to the learning part). It is just that its effect colours your Life Eternal without marring it. Just like a routine childhood cold is part of your history that stays with you for life but doesn’t impact it in a destructive way.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
No, and that’s my point. You were saying that we need to experience suffering in order to know what it means. I’m perfectly capable of understanding what certain kinds of suffering would mean without me actually going through them. And if I can understand suffering in this way, what’s stopping God from just making everyone know without actually having to go through it? Snapping his fingers and the knowledge arrives in everyone’s heads?
[/QUOTE]
Can you really know suffering without experiencing it? I am not saying you must experience every single type of suffering but you must experience suffering (of some kind) to know suffering (in general). God can snap His fingers 'til the cows come home and fill your brain with encyclopedias worth of suffering trivia but you don’t know suffering until you have suffered just like you don’t know love until you have loved.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
But it must mar it. If it is effective enough to influence your decision on salvation, then it is influtential enough to have a lasting effect on you once saved. Unless you’re claiming that the you after being saved is not the same as the you before salvation?
[/QUOTE]
No I am not. After Salvation you are still you. A realized, eternal you, but still you. It is just that the experience is not enough to destroy you. It is that scraped knee when you were 1 and learning to walk. That funny rash you got when your aunt used Fresh Apple detergent on your bed sheets. That disastrous stomach flu from the burritos in Tijuana. They all stay with you and colour your experience but they don’t make you nor they break you.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
I am confused. You’ve suggested that God puts us on Earth so that we may understand suffering. An person who causes suffering, yet does not believe they are bad, clearly does not understand suffering. Each person that causes suffering yet appears before God with a clear conscience is a failure on God’s part. To use your analogy; if I were to test how people reacted to emotions by testing several mentally disturbed people who are unable to understand emotions, that would be a pointless test. Such people should not be used in this test - at all. And if that test involved the people who could not understand emotions causing unhappiness or anger or fear in other people, I have caused needless harm.
[/QUOTE]
No, I am not suggesting such thing. I am beginning to wonder if you are trying to understand my points or just looking for hooks where to hang your standard arguments against God. Mortal life is not a test and is not a class.
Mortal life is the actualization of our Moral choices. Mortal life is real, significant and determining of our Life Eternal. It may pale in contrast to Life Eternal but it shapes it in profound and significant ways.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
If I knew it was, yes. If I did, yes. But there’s a big difference between not knowing about suffering and doing something and knowing about suffering but doing it anyway. Evil people know that what they do causes suffering, but they do it anyway. And if they don’t see that as wrong, it’s salvation for them.
[/QUOTE]
Can you really know suffering and know you are causing it and not see it as wrong? Remember I have posited that you face Judgement in full knowledge of your actions and their consequences. Whatever veil there was over your mortal perception is lifted and you stand transparent in front of God.
And if it is salvation for them, then Glory be to God! Do you need to see the causers of suffering suffer to enjoy your salvation? I am afraid that is the greatest challenge we will face in Judgement. Facing the Salvation of our oppresors.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
You believe that Hitler knew in his heart that he was causing suffering, but chose to ignore it? That seems like pretty wishful thinking.
[/QUOTE]
I believe nothing about Hitler. Even if I had been there at every moment of his life, I would have no knowledge of what went in the depths of his heart. I believe in a fair and loving God who will give him a chance for Salvation no less than what He gives everyone else. I believe His ability to forgive greatly exceeds anyone’s ability to sin. I believe that he will have to face the fullness of his deeds and trust in God’s love to ask for Salvation. There are only two players in the story of Salvation of any person. That person and God.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Sure it would. When we play american football, do we play naked? Nope. We wear clothes, padding, helmets, all in order to keep us safe. Of course, none of these things can remove the pain entirely - however, God can. God could choose to make football entirely painless; he could make football padding 100% effective at stopping pain. And there’d still be freedom to play, wouldn’t there?
[/QUOTE]
Although you are taking hostage the analogy and trying to apply the powers of God to the father in the analogy, let me try to make this work for a minute. Could you really play football with no sensation of pain? Would it be as fun? There is a reason those guys don’t work out all day in a gym and then play the game in a PlayStation.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
What are we, then, after salvation? We do not sin after that. Are we then drugged, happy zombies? Are we not then forced into love? Or do we get to choose after salvation to reject God?
[/QUOTE]
After Salvation, you are Eternal. You may be thinking infinite but it is more like Timeless. It is not an infinite string of days playing the harp on a cloud. It is a fullfilled wholeness. A partaking in the totality of God’s timeless love.
You are not forced into it. You must choose to partake in it (go back to my Salvation analogy in #62). God cannot force you into Salvation and won’t coerce you by threat of punishment. You punish yourself by depriving yourself from it or willingly accept it. your choice.
Could you reject God after Salvation. As I have suggested it, that makes no sense. In the end the answer is I don’t know, of course. I just don’t see anyone willing to flee the loving acceptance of one’s shortcomings. Specially if the choice was made in fullness of knowledge, there is no logic to changing your choice in the absence of new knowledge.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
Besides, we wouldn’t be. After all, as i’ve said already, God can make us understand suffering. If I have never suffered, but am aware of the suffering that can exist, I don’t think I would characterise my position as a drugged, happy zombie.
[/QUOTE]
Again, I don’t see that you could understand suffering without experiencing it. And I don’ see that you you could be Morally Free without the ability to inflict suffering.
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
…which doesn’t requires suffering.
[/QUOTE]
yes it does. Without it, life is just make-believe. Role-playing. Doll-House Tea Time.