Why does my Moslem chicken have no breasts?

The cold hard facts are these:

Mrs. J. went out to buy a chicken at the supermarket. They apparently ran low on our usual steroid-enhanced, antibiotic-stuffed, factory farmed, plump and juicy chickens, and she wound up bringing home an organic chicken, raised with pride by our local Islamic cooperative.

This chicken is somewhat different than what we are used to.

For one thing, it has virtually no breast meat. I am not sure if organic chickens are not supposed to have breasts, or if the fact of it being a chicken of Islam has something to do with it. It has fairly impressive legs. However, when incised they prove to contain an abundant quantity of gray-yellow greasy material intermediate between fat and slime.

This is not appetizing.

So here is a question for those in the know about organic chickens of either the Islamic or infidel variety. Are such poultry generally lower in succulent breast meat? What is the gray-yellow mucilaginous material, and is it a good thing? Would you eat out at the Mexican restaurant tonight?

Thank you.

Im no expert on these matters by any means, but I would guess that the lack of breast on your chicken is due to its organic origins rather than the fact that it was produced by muslims.
Meat produced according to Islamic law is known as Halal, and as far as I know this refers to the way the animal is killed and prepared afterwards, not the way it was raised. Non Halal organic chicken, from my experience, is equally yellow and insipid and just goes to show how wholesome and delicious hormones and antibiotics are.

The breast size has to do with the breed of chicken. No call on the slime.

I’m a big fan of game bird and yard bird, and they are usually on the scrawny side, but slime-free.

Followup: after baking, the pan holding the bird contained nearly a half-inch thick layer of fat. That’s way more than the usual “better living through chemistry” bird would produce.

I hope this was just an aberration. Unfortunately, it was our worst poultry experience since the time panic buying cleaned out the meat section during a blizzard, and all that was left to eat was a solitary, tough little turkey ham.

This is the way chickens are really suppose to taste like. The ones you buy in the supermarker (perdue) are bread to have more white meat and bigger breasts.

I saw the compareson between a standard supermarket turkey and a more ‘natural’ turkey and the difference is just as you stated, less breat, more leg and overall much darker meat.

The slime was most likely oil which the natural breads have much more of. If you are not accustomed to it you might take it as slime.

Also one thing you didn’t post is how did it taste?

Since I don’t think chickens have the mental capacity to convert to Islam, I believe you mean “Why does my halal chicken have no breasts?”

Just a clarification.

I have noticed that the pre-roasted chickens in supermarkets here seem scrawnier and slimier than ones I remember in Australia. No idea why.

I have to confess that I didn’t immediately sample the bird (it would be an exaggeration to say that I was screwing up the courage to do so, just that I had other priorities). Mrs. J. did, and lived to tell the tale. When I opened the refrigerator awhile ago, what was left of the chicken had vanished. On questioning, Mrs. J. replied “I threw it out. And I’m glad.”

Now that I know the findings are relatively normal for organic chicken, I may try one someday - when Mrs. J. is out of town.

The point about chicken brains and Islam is well taken.

Wonder how all those chickens the locals liberated from Saddam’s compound in Iraq tasted?

I used to raise chickens. Their breasts were smaller, but ours weren’t particularly fatty. I think it much depends on the type of feed given to the birds. Mine ate cracked corn, and were turned out every morning to eat bugs out of the grass. (I attribute the great taste of these chickens and their eggs directly to the bug-eating!) If the chicken you ate was fed the commercial chicken feed which is intended to put weight on the bird quickly, that could explain why the chicken was so fatty.

Actually, I’d like to toss my 2 cents in the ring here with a “Nuh uh.” Growing up on a farm, we raised our own turkeys, and would send one each year to the FFA kids to slaughter and dress for us on Thanksgiving.

The way you get a turkey with a /lot/ of good meat on it is to simply feed it well and provide for it a space to lope around a bit.

Each Thanksgiving, our turkeys were on average, about 38-40 pounds. Our largest? A 45 pound monster that only -just- fit into the oven to be baked. And it had /lots/ of meat on it, dark and light.