Why does the Oracle in THE MATRIX have any credibility?

So…you didn’t watch the entire first movie (at least twice), but you watched both the sequels?

-Joe

remember the oracle said " your next life maybe"

he does flat line… and then is kissed back to life by trinity. viola!! his next life.

at least that’s the way i read it.

Extremely trivial nitpick: that was the 2nd movie, not the third.

Actually, there is some basis in the “Matrix” universe for the humans being used as part of a neural-based supercomputer. See the short story Goliath for details.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Monica Bellucci wasn’t in The Matrix, she was in the two sequels.

I believe that’s his point, dehacker.

From now on, when someone says “The Matrix” can we assume they mean the entire story including any of the three Matrix films and the Animatrix?
Also, I don’t undertand the hate for the other two films.

Personally I would have liked it better if there had been only one sequel, and the reveal at the end was that Zion and the world Neo and Morpheus believed that they lived in was simply another Matrix, a fall-back Matrix, designed to catch those who could not live in the original Matrix, or who found the way out.

“Some humans can’t live in a real world. They have to have a dark world, a tragic world, in which they can play hero or victim. You chose this world, Neo, because you wanted to be a hero. We gave you a world where you could fulfill that fantasy…”

I’m sorry, but the Matrix-within-a-Matrix idea is actually so tacky that had they done this, ye olde internette nerds would be screaming from the rafters.

Regardless, the Oracle is one of the weakest chaarcters in the sequels. She is almost utterly pointless, doing nothing of consequence and eating up screen time. It’s never clear why she was important.

“This isn’t The Matrix?”
“No. It’s another training program designed to teach you one thing…”

The Matrix meets Total Recall? Um, no thanks!

It makes sense at first, then the fridge logic hits.

It’s explained that she’s the “anti-architect” he “balances” the equation that is the matrix while the Oracle unbalances it (never mind the weird terminology). At first you think “okay, that’s cool I guess.” Then you realize the oracle is a denizen of the matrix, meaning, a program. Now I suppose she could be a rogue program like Smith, but she states her purpose so CLEARLY it’s implied she was designed to do that… why, exactly? The only purpose I can think of is that so the machines can do a routine slaughtering of Zion every few decades, by why bother with “the One” and “possible loss of your life support system” thing? After the first time they knew where it was so they could do it every now and then without bothering with people leading them to it and that whole taking elders business. Therefor the Oracle exists just because she exists, which tends to happen a lot once you put the Matrix under scrutiny (if I were to rifftrax it I’d replace half the lines with “Why? Cause I said so!”).

The only thing I really hated about all three matrix movies was the original humans as batteries crap. Even if told as a lie, who the hell would believe that was an efficient way of generating/storing electricity?

The movies make a little more sense if you assume the brains of humans are used as parallel processors that keep the Matrix functioning. I read somewhere that was the original explanation, but studio executives didn’t think audiences would understand it so they went with the battery thing.

From reading this I’m glad I didn’t watch the sequels.

My problem with the Matrix (original or the entire series) is that there is no sensible reason why humans would want to escape from The Matrix. The Earth’s biosphere is screwed, everything is nuked and gray. There won’t be a sun for a long time. The remaining survivors wear ratty clothes, eat slop, the ratio of men to women is not favorable, and it’s just a generally depressing place.

To me, the most realistic reaction to this was Cypher, from the original. Yeah, get me back in the Matrix! Let me eat steak and live a normal life! Who cares if it’s “fake”? If anything, the machines are doing humanity a huge favor. It’s disturbing we’re kept in jello pods and everything, sure, but it’s not like they’re really doing anything bad to us.

If anything, the Matrix would be great for people who knew the truth. Use your crazy super powers to your advantage. Accrue a fortune, become famous, and get an unbelievable amount of tail.

Precisely. I’d seen bits & pieces of the first movie and was underwhelmed, but went to see the second one on a date and was actively annoyed. I had no interest in seeing the third, but the night it opened I ran into some friends who wanted me to go with them. So we went, to find it was sold out; I didn’t much care, as the movie theater was a trivial distance from my apartment and I could just walk home. But then two girls who had bought tickets earlier walked up and offered to just give theirs away, and as the tickets were free I took one.

The fact that the girls had begun the day fanatical enough to not merely stand in line for an hour to buy tickets, but had bought tickets for TWO shows, and after seeing it once had decided to give their tickets away, should have been a clue.

Two birds with one stone, so to speak, but still, the brain/processors bit makes more sense.

Too true - I do love Fellowship. That at least was exactly out of my dreams.
And no, I don’t love Two Towers. Bt I do so love the battle scenes.

Bwuh? Never heard of it, thankfully.

I even liked the sequels, though they were not to the level of the first one. But very few sequels ever are. The only time this works at all well is movies where the first one is just setting up the background and the second one is the true story (read: Mad Max).

I don’t count the people who hated the Matrix from the start but I thnk those who liked the first one came away with too high expectations for the follow-up, forgetting the Cardinal Rule of Sequels. But then again, I liked Aliens 4, even if I don’t really like Wynona much.

As for not wanting to escape from the Matrix, I think that is way more than feasible that a small percentage of humans could never ever be slaves. Most of us would be (hell, I’d be in there, having a grand old time) but there have been people throughout history who would rather die than be slaves, who would rather do anything than be slaves.

Mika, if you don’t do ANYTHING else I ever advise you to do, DO NOT watch that movie. Ever. Do not go to Wikipedia to read the synopsis. Assume that anyone who tries to get you to watch it with them is an agent of Wolfram & Hart trying to drive you mad so that you’ll be on their side during the apocalypse.

I liked both Aliens 3 & 4. But I’d never seen Alien or Aliens, so I wasn’t comparing. And, having seen only Alien 3, I found 4 a letdown.