Why does the shower curtain blow in despite the water pushing it out (revisited)?

Did any of the 50000 tetrahedral cells represent a person standing in the shower?? Doesn’t a body standing in the middle of it, with the majority of water hitting the body & slowly running down effect this?
In any event, I try punching the shower curtain. It doesn’t help.

Welcome, BReeve. I assume this is the column you’re talking about.

Why does the shower curtain blow in despite the water pushing it out (revisited)?

When starting a thread, it is helpful to provide a link to the column in question for other readers of the Dope.

“It shrinks?!.. Why does it shrink?”

“It just does!”

:smiley:

{Seinfeld reference}

I recall when this topic came out there was a prior thread where I did some home experimentation. Having a body in the path of the water didn’t make much difference, the difference between water temp and air temp was a bigger factor. If you like your showers extra hot, that drives the pull in factor more than a cooler shower. A heater in the bathroom can also help.

Having a spot near the bottom where air can leak in around the sides or under the edge will eliminate the effect. I happen to use a thicker shower curtain, which resists the effect better. Magnets on the corners help if you have an iron/porcelain tub, but not a plastic tub (like in my apartment). Also, you can use water to create an adhesion between the shower curtain and tub and get a similar effect to magnets.

My experience suggests that standing under the shower head does in fact reduce the annoyance of the cheap motel shower curtain getting in the way. I have attributed it to the reduction in surface area of the water caused by the spray droplets from the shower head combining into rivulets on contact with my body. The lower surface area, in theory, reduces the heat exchange from the water to the air.

The difference is more pronounced with low flow shower heads that use a finer spray to gain the width of spray needed to wash the body while maintaining the droplet momentum needed to rinse the hair. Turn on the shower and feel the temperature of the unobstructed water flow near the shower head and near the floor of the shower. It is noticeably colder at the bottom. So much so that the lower temperature might be to cold for a comfortable shower. Then stand in the shower stream and notice that the temperature of the water at your feet is not much cooler than it is at your head.

In a feel flowing shower, the temperature difference comes form the evaporation from the small droplets, causing a notable rise in air temperature and the pull of cooler air in from the bottom. Standing in the water flow really seems to help.

It has been my experience that standing in the stream doesn’t help reduce the curtain’s blowing in, but YMMV.
Powers &8^]

Repeated experiment, did see standing it stream affect the sucking in a bit.