Why Don't Asian People Drive Trucks?

[QUOTE=Gozu Tashoya]
<Dept. of retarded stereotypes>

It’s because they’re all driving Mercedes Benzes and BMWs, and neither company makes trucks.

</Dept. of retarded stereotypes>
[/QUOTE]

I thought they drove cars because cars are generally faster, more manoeverable, and are better able to help them avoid being painted with wide brush-strokes…

Lot’s of the Koreans aroundhere drive pick-em-up trucks.

[QUOTE=Count Blucher]
I thought they drove cars because cars are generally faster, more manoeverable, and are better able to help them avoid being painted with wide brush-strokes…
[/QUOTE]

…and are vastly superior to trucks for purposes of drift racing. :smiley:

How many people in general drive trucks where you live, and what kinds of people are they? Are they young to middle-aged, or older? Do they have families, and do they live in homes with garages? Do you live somewhere suburban, urban, or rural? Are people there likely to hold jobs or have interests that would benefit from owning a truck?

I would submit that if you live in an area where there aren’t many Asians, where people are likely to have families, in a large city, or in a community with a grayer population, there is more going on than “Asians don’t drive trucks.” Factors other than preference can dictate what you drive.

For what it’s worth, my Asian parents, who live in Honolulu, use my dad’s pickup truck as their sole means of motorized transportation.

[QUOTE=Gozu Tashoya]

It’s because they’re all driving Mercedes Benzes and BMWs, and neither company makes trucks.

[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: That’s such a retarded stereotype.

(seriously, is that even a stereotype?)

Actually, the vast majority of Asians I’ve met will only drive Japanese cars.

[QUOTE=pizzabrat]
:rolleyes: That’s such a retarded stereotype.

(seriously, is that even a stereotype?)
[/QUOTE]

Not really, though I did adapt it from a running joke my friends had in high school where it at least seemed like 90% of the Korean kids were dropped off by mothers driving Benzes.

Like AudreyK said, area matters. I moved to SEA from TX, and trucks are less common here than back in TX – so much that for a while there, I was counting the trucks I saw on the road every day (I have a ~40min commute each way) and shaking my head. In TX I’d have racked up high double digits easy with a similar commute.

[QUOTE=Gozu Tashoya]
<Dept. of retarded stereotypes>

It’s because they’re all driving Mercedes Benzes and BMWs, and neither company makes trucks.

</Dept. of retarded stereotypes>
[/QUOTE]
Someone forgot to tell Mercedes Benz that.

[QUOTE=boytyperanma]
Pick-ups are generaly bought and used by people that have a use for them. Most people wouldn’t buy one if it wasn’t needed in their line of work.
[/QUOTE]

Not around these parts. Pick-ups are a status symbol for the goat-ropers (aka drug store cowboys). It pisses me off for mutiple reasons:
It’s driven up the cost of trucks until they cost more than cars.
It’s encourages the manufacturers to build foo-foo trucks so that now, if you want a truck to do real work with, you have to special order it. So all the manufacturers come up with a ‘heavy-duty’ model. And then all of the goat-ropers trade in their un-sullied regular pickups for ‘heavy-duty’, diesel, 4x4 …
You can just smell the testosterone as you drive down the freeway.

[QUOTE=Tully Mars]

You can just smell the testosterone as you drive down the freeway.
[/QUOTE]

Not in mine, you can’t! :smiley:

But yes, jacked up, big tires, ridiculous sound system in a truck they’ll never get dirty. Pretty common around here too.

[QUOTE=Askance]
Someone forgot to tell Mercedes Benz that.
[/QUOTE]
You can’t get a Benz truck in North America.

[QUOTE=Surreal]
I’ve noticed that it seems to be extraordinarily rare for an ethnically Asian person to drive a pickup truck, but at the same time it seems to be remarkably common for a Caucasian person to possess a truck, even when there doesn’t appear to be any need for them to do so. Has this been your experiece as well?
[/QUOTE]

I never, ever see Asians driving any vehicles from Ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler, truck or otherwise. Most of the time, it’s Japanese brands, with a few driving German imports.