Why don't they make "retro" cars?

I was just thinking that there has to be a huge market for something like this. I don’t mean exact replicas, because obviously the materials and methods of auto manufacturing have changed over the years. But why doesn’t GM make a modern-style car – plastic bumpers, cd players and everything – that looks just like a '57 Chevy? I myself am looking forward to a cheap, fuel-efficient Model T. The closest I’ve seen to a retro car is the new Volkswagen Beetle. I don’t see something like that hurting the classic car market; but even if it did, why would Ford care? It is not like they are getting any money when somebody sells an old Mustang.

Anyway, it's just something I've been wondering about. Anybody have any ideas?

Well, the PT Cruiser was a throwback, and popular.

Personally, I’m hoping for the return of tailfins.

I agree. Look at all the money Hollywood has made remaking old movies. I would think this would appeal to the risk-averse lawyers and accountants who run the car manufacturers now.

Because all of the things that you’d like to see that are distinguishing features of cars of a byegone era would weigh more than you think and increase wind resistance dramatically. This would cause a decrease in fuel efficiency–there’s a reason why cars all started being shaped like squashed turds back in the 80’s. They’re very aerodynamic.

New VW Beetle. Chevy HHR. Mini-Cooper.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/retro.htm

:confused:
Don’t get out much do you?
Retro?
PT Cruiser
Chevy HHR
Dodge Ram pickups
Ford Thunderbird
Ford GT
VW Beetle
Mini

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

The 2008 Dodge Challenger is pretty retro.

Oooh, I like that!

That is freakin’ sweet!

Yeah, so, I guess I’m out of the loop. I didn’t realize there already were so many retro cars. But I don’t think the PT Cruiser and the Mini Cooper count. I’m not asking about newer cars “inspired” by older models, I’m talking about the same older car built new. I mean, in a way, every car is inspired by older ones. That Dodge Challenger was exactly what I am talking about, though. An old favorite brought to life again, not some quaintly designed vehicle just reminiscent of the old days.

Safty regulations, pollution regulations and manufacturing improvements mean that there is not a lot that can be copied over from models 10 or 20 years old. Only the Style can be reused.

That almost makes me wish I could drive.

Personally, I am waiting for a DeLorean.

I mostly drive and am quite fond of minvans, but I’d buy that car if I needed a 2nd set of wheels. Daaayyyammmm.

Put me down for a VW Thing, as long as it still sounds like a lawnmower.

I want a Nash Metropolitan. Those things are adorable.

Yeah, but the retro version of a 1938 Ford’ll smash through it like it was tinfoil.

Let’s not forget the Mustang

And, ironically enough, back when they were selling these cars, the “style” was the main selling point…

Why don’t they make them? Because not enough people would buy them. The market is satisfied by actual old cars and by kit cars, where an old-style body is fitted onto a modern chassis.

I’m not sure if the Challenger has been approved yet, but the new Camaro is apparently a go in 2009, assuming that GM hasn’t gone out of business by then.