Why has badchad not been banned yet?

[QUOTE=RedFury]
Indeed, it doesn’t. OTOH, it’s a bit of TMI for my taste. I guess next you’ll be telling us how you type one-handed and why. And yes, that is a rhetorical question.
[/QUOTE]

There was a rhetorical question? :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

Compliment. Unless you were responding to the set of all objects not including your own debating skills.

[QUOTE=Zoe]
Guys, it’s C-O-S-M-O-S-D-A-N.

It has an S in it.

He is of the ethereal cosmos…(sound of stars flapping in the breeze)

He is not a round-headed cartoon character from the 1930s.

If I have made a mistake, I sorry.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Zoe

This same mistake has happened so often here I don’t correct it every time anymore. It’s just some strange thing about my screen name.

[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
Thanks Zoe

This same mistake has happened so often here I don’t correct it every time anymore. It’s just some strange thing about my screen name.
[/QUOTE]

Well, perhaps some newbies just assumed that you once posed for a popular magazine? :smiley:

[QUOTE=RedFury]
My divine instincts rarely let me down.

[/QUOTE]

You must have some other example then

BTW ,my name isn’t Daniel

What a relief. I was a bit uncomfortable and concerned that rejection might hurt your feelings.

The original point I tried to make with humor , is that I’ve engaged BC on several occasions and remain unimpressed. He is tenacious but extremely disingenuous. His claim of great Biblical knowledge is almost laughable compared to some of our members. He does know how to manipulate and steer a debate but that is part of his being disingenuous and becomes transparent fairly quickly.
He is currently being called out as a liar which seems appropriate since he is quick to call others the same.
If that is what appeals to you so be it. To each his own. Maybe it’s good form for some Freshman debate class. I come to the SDMB for an honest exchange of information and thoughtful opinion. So far I haven’t seen much of that from him.

FTR I think he has potential and have told him so. I also have seen signs recently that he has learned a few things here on the boards and is making efforts to broaden his so called Biblical knowledge. I applaud that. I wish he had the kind of honesty that allowed him to thank the folks that have taught him but I haven’t seen the signs yet.

[QUOTE=RedFury]
Let me guess, your funny-bone is your coccyx. Which only serves to explain why you can be such an a-hole and so easily entertained.

[/QUOTE]

Oh comon, it was funny, admit it.

[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Well, perhaps some newbies just assumed that you once posed for a popular magazine? :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

I assumed they thought I was a fan of Kramer. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cosmosdan]

BTW ,my name isn’t Daniel
[/QUOTE]

It’s Sdanley, right?

[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
Oh comon, it was funny, admit it.
[/QUOTE]

Sure it was. But if I had, I couldn’t have taken that swipe at Jodi :slight_smile:


Nancarrow, thanks for being my own private dictionary. Don’t know how I got along without you all these years writing in different forums.

At any rate, when you need help with Spanish (my native language) just give me a holler. Not to worry, I won’t answer.

[QUOTE=RedFury]
Let me guess, your funny-bone is your coccyx. Which only serves to explain why you can be such an a-hole and so easily entertained.
[/quote]

Oh, c’mon. You hit on a guy; it was funny. I am easily entertained, and I think life’s a lot more fun that way. I certainly can be an asshole but that’s not why. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Jodi]
Oh, c’mon. You hit on a guy; it was funny. I am easily entertained, and I think life’s a lot more fun that way. I certainly can be an asshole but that’s not why. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/QUOTE]

Read above. I was just busting your chops. And yes, it was funny.

It’s not like I’am always in a bad mood ya know?

It must have been the part where you called me an asshole that confused me. But no harm done.

[QUOTE=Jodi]
It must have been the part where you called me an asshole that confused me. But no harm done.
[/QUOTE]

Me Sorry. You Jodi.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=FordPrefect]
It’s Sdanley, right?
[/QUOTE]

Ha…good one. funny. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=RedFury]

Nancarrow, thanks for being my own private dictionary. Don’t know how I got along without you all these years writing in different forums.

At any rate, when you need help with Spanish (my native language) just give me a holler. Not to worry, I won’t answer.
[/QUOTE]

Lo digo en broma, Francisco.

[QUOTE=Nancarrow]
Lo digo en broma, Francisco.
[/QUOTE]

Lo mismo digo, Benito.

That’s so cute! Now kiss.

I’m thinking that he probably realizes by now that his Biblical knowledge is good compared to most Jeopardy contestants, but bad compared to the Doper Biblical scholars. It’s easy to have reference material available – especially appropriate scripture – when you are sitting at a computer.

It’s also fairly easy to draw on the Scriptures when you have been exposed to them for over sixty years and taken several college courses in Bible studies. My courses were a long time ago, badchad – about forty-five years ago. I am no Biblical scholar. But off the top of my head, I could think of only two things Jesus said about heaven. I haven’t done a search. But that would have been my answer at the time you asked the question several months ago. And that would be my answer now. But I am very forgetful. If there are other references, I will take your word for it. I am not debating you.

  1. “This day shalt thou be with me in Paradise.”

  2. “In my Father’s house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you so. I go now to prepare a place for you that where I am, there ye may be also.”

I may have a word or two out of order, but that’s the gist of it.

You and I were probably brought up with similar training in the Bible – memorizing the books of the Bible, having Bible stories read to us, reading Bible comic books, playing trivia contests and so forth. Six or seven hours a week in church: Sunday school, Sunday service, youth meeting, Sunday evening service, choir practice and prayer meeting.

He was honest with me once about not having read quite as much material as he had originally implied. Since then he seems generally to be more specific about how much he has read. I do believe that he is making a real effort to educate himself.

I wonder if he’s ever read Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning. That one’s a classic. Oh, wait! Or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. That’s the one!

But badchad, who in the world would you be if you put you anger (and your pretense that you need to control) into a weighted duffle bag and threw it into Lake Barkley?

I will not be expecting an answer to my question for several months at best.

I am not posting this because of my religious beliefs or because of your religious beliefs. It’s because someone on a message board once made me so mad that he short-circuited my ability to sustain distain and disgust. It can be really embarassing.

I just don’t have any moxie left.

[QUOTE=Zoe]

You and I were probably brought up with similar training in the Bible – memorizing the books of the Bible, having Bible stories read to us, reading Bible comic books, playing trivia contests and so forth. Six or seven hours a week in church: Sunday school, Sunday service, youth meeting, Sunday evening service, choir practice and prayer meeting.
[/QUOTE]

Not me. I had no church experience until I was 19 or so. I had an experience, became a Christian and was very dedicated for a few years. I even became a member of the priesthood. Eventually I drifted away from the church for personal not religious reasons. Years later I was introduced to Eckenkar through a friend and that awakened my spiritual interest. I’ve studied more in the last 10 years than I ever have. Some of our Dopers friends have helped as well.

I think you’re right by what I’ve seen. I can respect the desire to learn at least. We’ll see how that learning effects his overall attitude. I would think that just the knowledge that certain dopers have shown him his errors and he has reluctantly seen they were right, would plant the seed of humility. Then again, I’m often too optimistic.

I do. three cans in the fridge. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zoe]
You and I were probably brought up with similar training in the Bible – memorizing the books of the Bible, having Bible stories read to us, reading Bible comic books, playing trivia contests and so forth. Six or seven hours a week in church: Sunday school, Sunday service, youth meeting, Sunday evening service, choir practice and prayer meeting.
[/quote]

Holy chorizo! And I thought I had it bad with my four or five years of Jesuit schooling. I mean, talk about indoctrination and controlling young minds…

Seriously, that simply sucks. How about a bit of balance à la Bertrand Russell, Aldous Huxley and/or Mark Twain? Not to tire you with an innumerable list of great atheists thinkers past or present. I mean, a coin has two sides, right?

No wonder they want them young and impressionable. I remember my own sister (quite devout in her own peculiar ways to this day) coming back from those so-called “spiritual retreats” and her claiming to “feel” Jesus in her heart…not to mention having “seen” him a couple of times in said retreat. Yeah, sleep-deprivation is quite an effective tactic. Especially when you’re young and insecure.

But hey! If even a quasi-idiot like me knows as much, surely the religious master-minds have known that and lots more long ago.

[QUOTE=Mark Twain]
In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
[/quote]

Too right.