To tie up this thread: I received my new watch today in the mail, and it’s refined from my previous. The picture at Amazon doesn’t do it justice – that picture looks exactly like my 2-1/2 year-old one. The new’s face is light gray with red accents, and the band is a much softer, matching gray, leather-looking and -feeling material with stitching. The model number on the stainless steel back of both old and new is WVA-104H. The model number on Amazon’s page has a typo – a ‘#’ for the initial ‘W’ – but further down on the page it is correct, in the Product Description, etc.
I can, of course, recommend it to anyone, but, if you consider buying, why not wait until it is reduced to $32 again (it’s $62 now). It periodically drops, as you will find if you read the 12 user reviews on the page. I wrote a review for it also, about a month ago, but Amazon did not print it. I should say, they did print it – with their revisions – so I deleted it from the page after it posted. One thing they didn’t like, I think, was I pointed out their typo in the model number beside the watch’s picture. I rewrote, and that second review never appeared. My review was essentially my OP in this thread. Amazon didn’t like it, apparently. Even the first one, the one they did put up there, I had to email them to ask why it hadn’t been put up after 7-10 business days, in order to get it posted.
I don’t know what they didn’t like about it. I am a satisfied customer. I bought another identical one. Those other user reviews are not all that complimentary, but mine was.
Much of the extremely thick (but very small) user manual is Casio disclaimers of how the watch might not get its time signals in certain situations. No wonder people are afraid of these watches. I had to own one to learn they are actually trouble free and user friendly. Out of the box, it was set for TYO (Tokyo) time, and hadn’t gotten its time signal since 7/24 at 5:03am. I changed the zone to NYC and pushed the “Manual Receive” so it got its time signal right away, so now I’m good to go for the next few years.
Again, thanks everyone, for your posts. I feel I’m starting out fresh, knowing the nature of atomic watches much better, and with an understanding of peoples’ feelings relating to them, owing to the many thoughtful responses in this thread. I really was baffled when I posted the OP.