Why I believe in God, by XXX

Jesus Ed Grimley Christ, Hamlet, that wasn’t judgement. That was mild and reasonable. But it’s ok–I’ll pick up the slack.

That story is a huge, steaming, bluebottle-ridden pile of glurge. The young lady in question is a naive little bint to buy into something that inane. She has a childish and immature vision of God, and has no idea what it means to evangelize. Much of that, admittedly, she’ll outgrow )knock wood). And with luck, she will someday find a decent deprogrammer willing to work on spec.

There. That was some judgement, gawdammit

It was a conversation, not a witnessing, and she was sharing a time her prayers came true.

Did we read the same OP? I didn’t see anything in there about her damning him to hell. I’m the one who did that. Although I’m sure that will have happened by the next time he posts.

Go for the cyanide. Please.

It’s called faith. It means she has a belief in something that can’t be proven. And I’m guessing she’s not so gullible to believe she will get everything she prays for. She was sharing one time when she did.

Why the fuck does she have to deal with being mocked for her faith? That’s a sign of a closed, small mind.

Yeah. I’m sure that one episode was the sum of her faith. God knows she couldn’t have done any introspection on her own, or read Aquinas or Augustine. Just one episode is her complete belief in God.

Small minded, judgmental people piss me off, whether they are atheist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or toad worshippers.

I thought the anecdote was so inane that it didn’t need a commentary. It said it all, really.

I can go anywhere I want, Dammit! :frowning: And neither the law, nor you, can stop me :smiley:

Bwahahaha!

Ok, not funny, I know. And jarbaby, why can’t he rant on something on his mind? does it have to be a new subject everytime someone posts a rant?

Sam

andros. You are probably right that it appears Christian XXX has a somewhat immature view of God. I’m guessing she’s still a youngin’, and hasn’t developed a full, well rounded, theology yet. But that still doesn’t make it O.K. to take a very important day in her life, and hold it up for mockery on a public message board. It’s rude, It’s judgmental, it’s closeminded, and it pissed me off.

Hey, if a fellow atheist used a similarly inane reason why he or she doesn’t believe in God (“I look up at the sky a lot and never see Him!”) then they are deserving of mocking too.

Just because a piece of idiocy is a person’s belief, that doesn’t make it immune from criticism.

Another?; you’re implying that Christians have at some point been condemned once before on this board? This seems most imiplausible and I’m afraid I must ask you for a cite.

Does Lolo count as a cite?

Well, possibly, but don’t expect me to be impressed

Fair enough, Hamlet, and TBH I agree that the OP might have been unnecessarily cruel. But please bear in mind that two wrongs are worth a bird in the hand. Er, those who live in glass houses gather no moss. Um, don’t hatchet your counts before you remove the speck from your own eye. Aw, fuck it.

It just doesn’t really work too well in my book to suggest someone take cyanide while deriding small minds. Just seems a little tacky to me, not to mention hypochondriac. Hypothalamus. Hypodermic.

You know what I’m trying to say.

That’s one of the fucking points. She has a personal experience with God, and to some small minded people automatically call it “idiocy.” Prove to me God didn’t answer her prayer, smartass. That’s just it, it’s her faith, and it was a very important part of her life. And she’s being ridiculed for it. I’m getting fucking sick of the lack of tolerance on this board for someone who believes in the unprovable.

Here: When I was in college, I did 33 shots in one night. Shoulda died, but didn’t. I believe that “God” didn’t want me to die at that time. I’ve tried to live a good life.

So mock away.

Only 33 shots? Pfft. My cock is so huge I can take 333 shots and still drive home.

Touchme. Or is it tongueme. Let me think. Hmmmmm. Touche, maybe? Actually, I prefer the touchme. :smiley:

You are absolutely right, andros. There is no moss-gathering in glass houses. But you are also right that I may have overreacted. So:

I apologize Munch, please do not take the cyanide.

Yeah, yeah, it’s all noble when it’s a personal experience with God.

If I told the story about the time I prayed to my left testicle that they wouldn’t fuck up my pizza order and it came true, you’d laugh me all the way back to Dominos.

Pfft, indeed. If you still have to drive to get home, it’s not as big as mine.

I’m trying to run a search, but the server ain’t having it. Clearly God is on your side.

You know what? I’m an atheist. I think the majority of posters on this site are perfectly rational and openminded when it comes to matters of faith. However, I generally choose not to post in religious threads because I see how quickly they degenerate because of a few rabid people. I can see how Christians might get a little defensive when more than a few threads talking about stupid Christians - even individual stupid Christians pop up. Ask jarbaby and yosemitebabe how many times they’ve felt they had to defend themselves and their faith. If I can get a search going, I’ll post what I can find.

I guess my point is, no, I don’t see it as a blanket condemnation of christians…it was just…lame. One story about one girl in one situation, where the OP was, I assume, prepared to make fun of her no matter what she said.

I mean, yes, I guess I’m upest that there was nothing to it. I mean, if I posted an OP going “Why Satanists Drive Me Nuts” and told an anecdote about how a goth kid on the train told my husband how Satan was his best friend and ‘life guide’, I have no doubt a few Satanists and/or Athiests, Pagans or Agnostics would come in and say “what’s your point, not all Satanists are that ridiculous.”

Yes, I am getting a bit touchy about the Christianity bashing lately, but that’s because I’m going through a bit of a transition in my life, where I’m trying to get in touch with my Christianity and reconcile it with some of my more modern, progressive views. And about 600 times a day I find myself saying “We’re not all like that”

I pray for strength, peace, guidance and help through my depression…not for less traffic on 90/94

So no, not really mad or anything…just…tired I guess. Carry on.

Real men pole-vault.

Jules says
“Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is irrelevant. What is relevant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved.”

St. Paul says, “Faith is the evidence of things hoped for, the conviction of things unseen.”

The thing about miracles is that they are, by their nature, both unrepeatable and unfalsifiable. For all we know, maybe the Architect of the Universe DID arrange for the girl’s Bible to be placed on top of her dresser as the evidence of His existence to bolster her faith. It it makes her happy to believe this, who are we to disabuse her of her simple faith?

Jarbaby is, I believe, being oversensitive. In the recent thread where we skirmished, I didn’t trash her faith; I criticised the behavior of some of her fellow believers, there’s a diffeence there, I think. People can believe in as many gods as they like, and it harms me not one bit.

Jules says
“Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is irrelevant. What is relevant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved.”

St. Paul says, “Faith is the evidence of things hoped for, the conviction of things unseen.”

The thing about miracles is that they are, by their nature, both unrepeatable and unfalsifiable. For all we know, maybe the Architect of the Universe DID arrange for the girl’s Bible to be placed on top of her dresser as the evidence of His existence to bolster her faith. It it makes her happy to believe this, who are we to disabuse her of her simple faith?

Jarbaby is, I believe, being oversensitive. In the recent thread where we skirmished, I didn’t trash her faith; I criticised the behavior of some of her fellow believers, there’s a difference there, I think. People can believe in as many gods as they like, and it harms me not one bit.