Why I hate Law Students.

Over here, students come straight from high school into undergraduate LLB degrees. Most are now doing combined degrees eg. Commerce/Law, Engineering/Law, Arts/Law.

After 5 or 6 years of this, they then do a year of articles in a law firm & then they are released into an unsuspecting world to cause damage as they may.

I wish I was dealing with arrogant 22 year olds sometimes. I’m only 25, but there are a whole lotta 18 year olds that I just want to slap and tell them to wake up to themselves.

Of course, that’s usually when they get in my way when I’m running errands for various academics that could get me fired if I don’t bow low enough.

I love this place.

sigh…

Congratulations, ENDER. Ya sucker. :wink: You should talk to GADARENE; I think he’s a clueless suck-- er, first year law student as well. :slight_smile:

Another sucker here…

As an “older” student, I share your pain, Phaeton. I’m in with the 22-year-old snots instead of the 18-year-old snots, but it’s still painful sometimes. There really should be another option for those of us who have outgrown drinking until you pass out every Friday and Saturday night. On the other hand, after qualifying exams, no mere law professor can even make me sweat.

I’ve quit doing Uni a few years back because I couldn’t deal with 18 year old boys any more. This was a big problem as I was trying to study Engineering & so kinda had to deal with a lot of 18 year old boys.

I had been hoping not to deal with students again, like in the rest of my work, but got thrown in & have since been congratulated on how well I handled them, to my complete surprise.

So I’m running away from here (not just for this reason, but for soooo many others).

I hope this isn’t bad nettiquette, but I’m copying and pasting a post I wrote on another SDMB thread that also applies here all too well. Let’s just say I’m at a midwest school that was once a trivia question on “Win Ben Stein’s Money.”

Patty

“What do you mean food isn’t allowed in the library?”

Patron: “Can I check this book out?”
Me: “Well, are you a student or employee of [name of university I work for].”
Patron: “Uh, no.” (Sometimes followed by “My father/mother/sibling/greatuncle on my stepfather’s side was,” to which I reply mentally “And that means WHAT to me?!?!”)

Patron: “How come you close early on Fridays?”
Me: “Because we’re in the middle of summer break.”

“Do you sell law books?” (Immediately followed by my giving them the phone number and directions to the campus book store.)

“Can I stay in the building after it closes so I can study?”

Then there are those who demand to know why they can’t have the texts that don’t circulate to anyone.

Not yet. :slight_smile: Like Ender, I’m gonna be.
Oh, I’m gonna be.

(A clueless sucker, that is. What’s this about law students?)

That’s ok because I can bore them with details of the Java Virtual Machine and the implementation of abstract data types in C++.

A lot of people I know went into Law. IMHO, a portion of their lack of common sense is due to the fact that lots of them were spoon-fed in high school. (Believe me, Phaeton, I know - I went to MLC) :slight_smile:

And is Melbourne University really like that? Poor, innocent littls Kayeby thought that the worst stuff that happened around campus was M1 …

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Ceejaytee *
I now apologize for anyone I pissed off by acting like an asshole during the Wonder Years at Brooklyn Law School./QUOTE]

Woo-hoo!! Another … um, did we BLSers have a nickname or a mascot or anything like that?

Sua

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by SuaSponte *

Yeah, Sua, I believe we were called the “can’t-remember-to-close-our-end-quote-tag-ers” or something like that.

Our mascot is the subway rat with a question mark above its head. Don’t you remember? It was on all the stationery. :slight_smile: BTW, Class of 1989. You?

Kayeby, the worst that’s happened to me around here (but maybe wasn’t so bad because it gave me a half-day off) was the day that protesting students decided to picket the VC’s office. Why was this a problem for Phaeton in Law you ask?

Well, for some reason, these students thought that there was a was into the VC’s building from the Law Quad. Is there? NO. Will there ever be? NO. Is our manager an idiot? YES!

The students picketed every entrance into the Law Quad as well as the VC’s office. Our manager wanted us to climb up ladders into windows to get into our offices. A few of us were already in & wondering how we were going to get food or out to go home or if they were going to start breaking things to get inside.

Eventually Security evacuated us & we were sent home, but it definately wasn’t the most productive morning at work for me.

Ahh, student protests. Back in March 1989 while I was in Georgetown, students at Gallaudet University shut their school down for a week, demanding a Deaf person be appointed president of the school. It was a wonderfully successful protest, striking a blow for Deaf equality.
'Course, over at G-town, we primarily noticed that the Gallaudet students had successfully extended their Spring Break. With that in mind, we decided to protest, demanding a Deaf president as well. We weren’t nearly as successful.

Sua

So, Sua, are you saying your protest fell on deaf ears? :slight_smile:

:: ducks and runs very, very far away ::

Abe Babe is correct. Never watch a tv law and/or cop show with a law student.

But like all iron clad laws there’s an exception. When I was in law school one time my friend Tony told us about all the abuses he’d seen on a recent cop show, about how many constitutional rights the arresting officer violated, and so on and so forth. Then Tony finished his story by saying, “And then Andy said to Barney…”