Why I hate Law Students.

No! I don’t know when your lectures are! Try reading the Reading Guide!
No! I don’t know who your lecturers are! Why not go to class and find out!
No! You don’t have to buy these books! Welcome to Uni! I don’t even care if you don’t bother to go to class!
No! You can’t pay buy cash here! If you wish to continue moaning, go for it! I’m not listening. We took $20,000 yesterday through EFTPOS alone & I have no desire to become a security guard for the week and a half that we are here, when there are two banks on campus!
No! You can’t return the materials that you have opened and written your name in! Especially if you’ve just decided not to do this subject.
No! I don’t know when the exams will be! Try reading the Reading Guide!
No! I don’t know where all the lecture theatres are! I work in my little office & don’t go to class here! Try looking at the map that’s in the Reading Guide!
No! I have no control over the cost of the materials & I can’t give discounts, no matter how nicely you smile! As far as I know, we sell these at less than cost price!

Thank you for letting me vent a little.

And these things make law students different from other types of students exactly how???

Probably no different, but I haven’t had to deal with other non-law students. I’m writing from personal experience, not with a sweeping generalisation about all students, just one about law students.

Good point. Phaeton, everything you wrote applies to all students. BTW, what exactly do you do at uni that exposes you in such a way to idiot students?

In all fairness to you, Phaeton, law students are some of the most annoying creatures on the planet. I know; I was one. :wink: There are two basic rules about law students that should be strictly adhered to:

1. Law students should refrain from engaging in argument with non-law students, at least for the first couple of years. We learn knew methods of debate and logic, and it’s all very exciting and fun in class, etc. (well, it can be). But these methods are deeply annoying to non-law people. Keep your friends - don’t debate with them;

2. Landlords should not rent to law students. :slight_smile:

Sua

Oh! Oh! My reputation has been irreparably damaged by your false and defamatory statements! I’ll see you in court!

Tennessee Ben (1L who should be writing a trial brief right now)

SueSponte, I work in the Law Faculty of an Australian University as an Admin Assistant (read: Monkey-girl).

We prepare internal course notes for students which we sell to them in bulk at the start of each semester. As I was the most expendable at the time, I got thrown to the lions & have been doing that full time for the last week or so.

I’m tired of playing nice-nice. I think I may snap soon.

Oh & I’ve just thought of one more…

No! You can’t use your Mother’s/Father’s/Significant Other’s Credit Card, even if they have written a pretty note saying that you can. If it’s not a power of attorney, we can’t accept you signing for their card as legal.

1. If your Significant Other is a law student, cut him or her out of the herd before going out for drinks or dinner or fun. If you let him or her socialize with other law students, they will talk about classes and cases the whole time and you will be bored out of your gourd.

2. If you are talking to a law student about something non-law-school related for more than five minutes in a row, he or she is very likely not listening to you anyway. He or she is thinking about law school.

3. Some law students are of the opinion that they are God’s Gift just because they are in law school. Most of these are first-years and this will be beaten out of them eventually, but in the meantime do not hesitate to smack the shit out of them yourself.

I had the misfortune to work as the textbook manager for the only bookstore on a campus that had a law school. As far as I’m concerned, law students are proof of devolution. 90-some-odd percent of them are asswipes without the common courtesy that god gave roadkill. Oh, yeah, and one more thing, Bucky, I don’t care if you call it a “Juris Doctor” degree or not, if you don’t spend the time in school, write a dissertation, and earn it, nobody who counts considers you a “doctor.” When I was working there, with my M.A. in English, I’d spent more time in school than you would.

Law students suck!

All of this, of course, generally applies only to day(care) students. Those of heartier stock who managed to work full time and still go to law school realize what annoying asses day students can be.

stofsky: I’m sorry for your bad experience. I’ll promise to call you Dr. if it will make you feel like an advanced English degree is relevant.

They’re just like lawyers, but without the education.

Awww c’mon … which university? :slight_smile: I’m at Melbourne Uni - it isn’t that one, by any chance?

Could be. But only for 44 more days.

If it was. But I didn’t say that it was. But I may have been trapped at Melb Uni for 2 ½ years. Maybe.

stofsky said:

Doctors, no–it’s the basic legal degree, what used to be called an LLB. But we do get to use the initials JD, which we can then claim stands for “juvenile delinquent.”

Zoff said:

Now that’s not fair. With an advanced degree in English, one can…one can…hey, one can be a textbook manager and help law students! :smiley:

Well, if it just happened to be Melbourne University (which I’m not saying it is) you wouldn’t have to worry, because I am not a Law student. I am, in fact, one of the darling Media and Communications students that you hear such glowing reports about. :slight_smile:

And Law students aren’t so bad … I lost my mobile and somebody doing Arts/Law found it and returned it to me. :smiley:

I fully intended to barge in here and give that Phaeton a piece of my mind, when I realized I’d left most of my mind in law school, so I have nothing left to give.

I vaguely remember that law school sucked, but fortunately, I graduated 12 years ago, and now it’s all just a dim nightmare.

I now apologize for anyone I pissed off by acting like an asshole during the Wonder Years at Brooklyn Law School.

:: hangs head in shame ::

Rule 6 - There’s no rule 6

Rule 7 - Never, ever, under any circumstances, watch The Practice, Law and Order, L.A. Law, etc. with law students, expecially 1st years. Speaking as a former 1st year myself, as well as having lived with a 1st year before I attended law, all they talk about is how that wouldn’t happen in real life, Hadley v. Baxendale (anyone remember that one?), prima facie case for etc. blah, blah, blah. I confess to being a TV law nitpicker myself, in my glory (gory?) days.

Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon

Dogbert: I’m trying to decide whether to conquer the world
by forming a religion or by conquest.
Dilbert: Which results in less loss of human life?
Dogbert: That’s what I’m using this computer program to
figure out.
Dilbert: (Looking over Dogbert’s shoulder) Why do law
students count for 1/5 of a person?
Dogbert: It doesn’t drop to zero until after they pass the
bar.

ABE –

Oh, c’mon. When you see this on TV . . .

Examining Counsel to Witness: So in addition to being a LIAR, you’re TEN POUNDS OF SHIT IN A FIVE POUND BAG, AREN’T YOU???

Opposing Counsel, leaping up: Objection!

Examining Counsel, contemptuously turning away from Witness: Withdrawn.

. . . The judge just sits there like a bump or a log, or says “well, he withdrew the question.”

. . . tell me you don’t roll your eyes and mutter under your breath “yeah, right; THAT happens a lot,” as if any self-respecting judge wouldn’t chew Counsel’s leg off for him.

Come on; you know you do. :wink:

I think the thing that has frustrated me the most is that in theory, the majority of these students are in the top 1% of high school students. So they are supposed to be incredibly smart, but they have zero common sense.

Refusing to read signs or to listen to what’s going on around them seems to be a fairly common manifestation of this trait.

Add in a dose of arrogance (which some of them were bringing in buckets) and it’s a baaaadd combination.

43 days & 8 hours until I escape here.

High school students? High school students? How does the education of lawyers work over there, anyway? In the States, law is an advanced degree and almost always requires a four-year undergraduate degree first. So here you’re not dealing with arrogant 18-year-olds, you’re dealing with arrogant 22-year-olds. :smiley: