Why is Goth all dark and macabre?

So I’m reading “Florence: A Portrait”, slowly, and in the prologue I come across a photo of the most amazing building: The Campanile of the Duomo. It’s a bell tower, evidently. My first thought is, “Why in the effing heck have I never heard of this piece of architecture?!” Then I get to the text associated with the photo and I read,

Now, granted neither the Duomo nor its Campanile are all pink & kitty cats & balloons, but they aren’t really this either. How did that transformation take place? Why did it take place?

Go here and click on “name” on the left-hand menu. It’s the most rigorous tracing you’re likely to find of where the term “goth” came from that applies to the people SNL was making fun of.

Sorry, I’m just picturing Gothette, the smurf with the spiked collar.

I imagine that the “goth” in the gothic subculture is “gothic” in the literary sense.

19th century Gothic romances & especially Gothic horror are categorically gloomy.

And I believe Gothic literature is so named because of the prominent Gothic architectural settings (see The Hunchback of Notre Dame).