Why is it important to be humble?

Thanks Nzinga, as usual.

twicks, thanks - yeah, I read rhuby’s post the same way…

A 10? I don’t think so. At best she’s an SDMB 9.

I don’t see what the big deal is. She’s certainly attractive enough to objectively say “I’m an attractive girl”.

Beauty measurement is a weird science. And objectivity isn’t for the faint of heart; you have to be the type you can wake up, eat breakfast, club a baby seal, and pack your brats into the family truckster for a long vacation.

Even then, one person’s idea of attractiveness is not necessarily another’s. Bearing a passing resemblance to a celebrity can be a benefit, but let’s say you’re the masculine type-- what if people say you look just like:

a) Mark Anthony
b) George Michael
c) Monty Hall
d) All of the above

If it’s (d), the only way you’re getting your hands on a girl’s panties is if she’s doing you a favor.

Not to mention that most of us have a dead zone in our own self-perception. And beauty isn’t permanent— we’ve seen the child actors who are cute and gangly when they’re young, but lose their appeal when they grow up to be stocky and weird-looking with a disproportionately large head. So pace yourselves, Beautiful Folks. It’s a long way down the Holiday Road.

no u di’nt!

Masterful.

No, it’s not masterful. I don’t necessarily disagree with what Vinyl Turnip wrote, but " So pace yourselves, Beautiful Folks." is in no way humble.

Okay, am I the only one here willing to admit that I’m not at all sure what you’re trying to say here?

Okay, it’s some kind of coded locker-room tittering about how rhubarbarin looks like Anthony Michael Hall

that’s pretty fucking stupid

and anyway you left off Freddy Got Fingered

I think Anthony Michael Hall has aged very well, actually.

Random story.

When I was a kid I often had people (even strangers) tell me I looked like famous person X. Now, even as a little kid I recognized the name as he was a famous musician. But I was a little kid and this was back in the day where you were lucky if you could get all three channels AND PBS. And sometime late at night/early in the morning they played the national anthem, showed a waving American flag, and then went off the air.

So, between those two factors I went years being told I looked like X, knowing X was famous, but not really knowing what he looked like because his thing was music, not chatting with Oprah, or having his own show on Fox News.

But eventually I saw a TV show and there was this odd ugly dude being interviewed. Then I found out it was X :eek:

Glad my selfworth back in the day wasn’t based on looks because I would have probably exploded.

So I’m doing a quick Dope Scan and see some thread locked - about sexting nudie pix; again not my cuppa tea, but it is always interesting to see what leads to locked threads. While there, near the end - and the thread was interesting from a cultural standpoint - I see this from yesterday or so - AFTER all of this thread:

You know what, rhuby my dear? Yep, it’s in line with the thread, and yep, it’s a POV that could be relevant and share-able, but you know - it’s got enough sneak-brag in it, especially after this thread, to be really glaring IMHO.

The others are right - I am a sucker and you’ve got enough of a fixation on yourself to be an issue. I’m done here.

Minor update: I’ve gotten contacts from folks via email and PM - thank you for your kind words about my approach to this thread. I did try ;). I promise that I am not, to use the SDMB phrasing, “butt hurt” or feel like a sucker in any significant way. I make it a point to not invest that much into postings on an anonymous message board, even a great one like the Dope.

You started this thread, rhubarbarin - hope you got out of it what you wanted. It may not be important to be humble, but if you talk with folks in a self-absorbed way, it may put them off…just in case you haven’t noticed. :wink: