Why is it that I can get a rack of ribs everywhere EXCEPT a BBQ joint?

I’m not supposed to be driving right now, either. But I had my husband pick up a chopped beef sandwich from Poor Daddy’s for dinner tonight, and made some mac’n’cheese. He had two Old Fashioned sandwiches and some beans as well.

Funny – I ate at a Famous Dave’s last night, for the first time in my life.

I’m hardly a BBQ connoisseur, but I enjoyed my dinner (half-rack of ribs and brisket). One person in our party had a full rack. I didn’t think he’d be able to finish it, but he did.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Yeah, my wife and I were over near there (Sp. Valley @ Central), and she says “Does Bone Daddy’s have good barbecue?” to which I replied “Yeah, it’s decent.” Then she says “We should go there sometime.”

She changed her mind when I pointed out that it was basically a barbecue Hooters.

Thanks, I’ll put that on the list to review for next month.

Actually, they’ve probably been braised in a hotel pan in the oven. It’s usually too time consuming to boil a ton of ribs in a pot on the stove in a professional kitchen.

I had lunch at the Slick Pig this weekend. They have ribs by the rack and the half rack, if you want to come get some Tennessee 'que. I get the pulled pork sandwich on garlic toast, because I don’t like sticky hands.

StG

It’s just a little place, I think it has fewer than a dozen tables. They have the usual pickles, onions, and jalapenos, plus peppercini on the condiment table. It’s drive-through, too, so if you need some BBQ to go, that’s handy.

That looks interesting, and very affordable.

Lynn - It’s a real dive.Nothing fancy about it. You go to the counter, there’s a big wooden menu board. You order, pay and get your number. Someone brings the food out to you, calling your order number. But Saturday afternoon people were lined up to the door to place their orders.

StG

Dives can be fun, and BBQ places are not SUPPOSED to be fancy. BBQ is an inherently messy food, because of the wood burning and because the meat is supposed to be kind of greasy to start out with. And then there’s the sauce. BBQ is a very casual cuisine…even if you serve it with moist heated towels.

Yep. But the service shouldn’t suffer. That’s the only thing that gets me.

I heard some bigtime BBQ guy once say something like, when someone recommends a BBQ place, the first thing I ask is if they use plates. If the answer is “of course” I go somewhere else.

I’m pro dive.

Shakes, if it’s ribs you want, North Main BBQ in Euless. Ribs are their specialty. They’re open Friday and Saturday night. You can buy them to-go by the rack or you can have all-you-can-eat for $15.00, I think. I apologize if that price is not current, I haven’t been there in a while. I’m not supposed to be eating like that anymore.

Their brisket, sausage, chicken, and sides are not any better than most BBQ places. Their ribs are dry-rubbed and slow-smoked until the meat is pulling away from the bone. These are full-sized pork and beef ribs, too. They’re not those little baby back ribs.

It’s a help-yourself place. Fill your plate, pay the lady at the end of the bar, and find yourself a table. There are rolls of paper towels on the tables. They have tea in spigoted trash cans against the wall. Bring beer if you want some.

I think that the best BBQ places are the ones where you get your food on butcher paper, or paper plates. The fancier ones will have those plastic triportion plates. If a BBQ place has napkins in napkin holders on the table, get out of there. Proper BBQ requires paper towels. Napkins ain’t gonna do the job.

It’s actually pretty common around here. Yes, boil not braised. Compared to a 6 hour smoke it’s quick. BBQ joints don’t work the same as regular kitchens, there is comparatively little going in the day, especially in the crappier places. They go Sysco or the equivalent and get buckets of potato salad and cole slaw for the sides, and smoke a brisket (badly) and cover it in sauce and sell it to people who don’t know any better. I either don’t write about those places at all, or slam them pretty hard.

The best BBQ joint in Little Rock was shut down by the Health Department some years ago.
Something about rats dragging a rack of ribs across the floor. :frowning:

When you ordered beer, they brought the girl a glass, looked the guy in the eye and said, “You don’t want a glass, *do *you?” :dubious:

And they just boil whole racks of ribs in a pot? And that’s common? That’s extremely weird to me, as very few cooking vessels could hold very many at one time.

I’ve been in a couple places that do crummy ribs, and they all used the oven for a quicker wet-cook.

I bought a ten gallon pot for brewing at a restaurant supply shop. I could stand up lots of ribs in there, but I don’t want to go to BBQ Hell.

There are many suggestions to boil them and then grill.
I did it once. It is a lazy way, but the later grilling still makes them taste good.
I believe that the good BBQ places here have pits, and start them at an un G-dly hour in the morning for lunch, without boiling.

Right, lots of people boil ribs. I’ve seen it done many, many times, just not in a professional kitchen. There are easier ways to achieve the same result when you’re dealing in large quantities.

We had a broiler in the Army that could hold 24 slabs of ribs. Or 6 sheetpans. Did nice ribs.

Boiling removes much of the natural flavor of the ribs. It’s a common way to cook them where they come out tender and not dried out, but they suck. Yes, in real honest to god commercial BBQ joints. I’m not making it up here, I’ve interviewed employees who have admitted to doing it. I’ve experienced enough of it to be able to tell when it’s done that way. I’m not saying it’s a smart way, just that there are places that do it.