Why is modern day slavery getting so much press right now?

SSIA.

Thanks,
Rob

I would have appreciated citations that it is, but I’ll take a shot anyway.

The sexual slavery in Thailand/Cambodia is one of the largest on-going tragedies of modern world, to me. It deserves a lot of attention, frankly.

It’s kind of like asking why the earthquake in Haiti got so much attention. Big disasters deserve a lot of news.

A search for slavery today on Google News pulls up hundreds of articles about American slavery in connection with black history month and almost none about modern slave trafficking.

Whatever you’re seeing is pure confirmation bias. The subject deserves press, but I know of no evidence that “so much press” exists.

Need more info. What kind of slavery? What part of the world? What press is covering it?

It isn’t.

Here’s an example of an organization oppposing modern-day slavery (one of their members gave a presentation to our local human rights group last year)
http://www.freetheslaves.net/Page.aspx?pid=301

Perhaps it’s only CNN.com, but every time I go there, there is an article about it. I am not claiming it’s not a tragedy or not a common problem, but I was wondering what precipitated all the coverage.

Thanks,
Rob

I know of a couple of churches that have made this a major social justice action over the past few years. When I get home, I’ll try to look them up.

I’ve seen an item or two, but not many. I’d have to say that my current impression is that contemporary slavery is underreported, relative to its scale and gravity.

If SSIA got more press, I’d know what it meant.

Check out the current term; “Human trafficing”. Better info.
Important enough that the US Govt. requires annual training for all soldiers and DOD civilians in recognizing the trafficing.

It could be nannies, maids, nurses hired under false pretenses and coerced into prostitution or drug trafficing. Guest workers with passports seized, wages stolen to reflect “fees and taxes”, changed work and living conditions. Scams regarding eastern european or asian “girlfriend” catalogs.

Training includes recognition and reporting requirements for soldiers, civilians and contractors. Note the “reporting”. You’re also required to report to authorities and the chain of command any instances you observe with penalties if you don’t.

Mine has and so has InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

It’s definitely a “buzzing” topic in a lot of Christian communities.

“Subject Says It All”

In other words, the Subject line is the entire question.

If you look at the trend since 2008, there is a steady climb:
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=slavery%2Chuman%20trafficking&gprop=news&cmpt=q

I’m not sure if it’s a significant rise compared to the general rise in searches across ALL terms, though.

The main reason is that anti-prostitution organisations have seized on it as a means of furthering their own agenda. This is why you hear more often about sexual slavery these days than other types of slavery, even though a lot of researchers in this area believe that other types are actually more common. Mahaloth’s first post on this thread is a case in point. While sexual slavery is a big problem in Thailand, forced labour seems to be much bigger - see here. But it doesn’t have the kind of crusaders lined up against it that prostitution has. The discourse about human trafficking is being driven by people who want prostitution outlawed everywhere, and think that by portraying it as inextricably bound with slavery, they will succeed where their other arguments have failed.

This is the Anti-Slavery Campaign page

This is their previous campaigns page

Neither support your bizarre assertion.

Of course anti-prostitution people are campaigning against prostitution. What the hell else do you expect them to be campaigning against?

To be completely cynical, one reason why slavery in Sub-Saharan Africa is such a winner among church groups is that the areas where slavery is a practiced are predominately Muslim (with a hefty smattering of traditional religions). There aren’t many chances these days to do the “saving pagans from their barbaric practices” thing, so it has a nostalgic appeal for those hankering to do the sort of missionary work that fell out of fashion a while ago. Re-integration programs for slaves freed under these programs tend to include a good dose of Jesus.

Can we know what exactly we’re supposed to discuss? The OP doesn’t define what he thinks we don’t talk much about, and as a result every poster seem to be discussing a different issue.

• Actual traditionnal slavery existing in some few parts of the world?

• Exploitative work conditions making the worker’s situation close to that of a slave (for instance by inability to repay debts acrrued from services and product bought from the company)?

• Children sold by their parents who then have to work for a numer of years?

-Immigrants who have their documentation confisctated and are then overworked as house servants and receive few or no pay?

-Traffick of women for prostitution?
-All of thoses (and probably others I’m not thinking about at the moment)? But in this case the situations and possible solutions widly differ.
In any case, it doesn’t seem to me that these issues are unreported.

SECRETARY OF STATE ROBERT BURCH: [ON TV IN SHOP WINDOW] Terror takes many forms. I can conceive of no act of terror greater than the unforgivable…the ultimate destruction, that of a human soul. The kidnapping of Laura Newton has revealed to us…has allowed us to confront and will allow us to eradicate… the international traffic in souls. It was brought about because of a family’s love for their daughter. A simple American act. The love of Americans for all our daughters…who are the soul…who are the soul of this great country. We thank God…this one daughter has returned home. We vow that we will not rest…until all who have suffered her fate…are once again reunited with their families.

DRUNK MAN: Time to go home.

MSGT ROBERT ‘BOBBIE’ SCOTT: [IN DISGUISE] Lucky man.

[RIGHT]–David Mamet’s Spartan[/RIGHT]

Stranger

What assertion did I make that they don’t support?

Sigh. The point is that they are campaigning against prostitution by conflating it with slavery, even though most of the time it isn’t. And because they’re dominating the human trafficking discourse, the existence of slavery in other industries is being downplayed. The fact that not every single anti-slavery organisation similarly downplays it doesn’t disprove the general truth of that statement.