Why is requiring an ID to vote a problem, but no one is upset by having to have ID to register?

I’m hearing lots of complaints about attempts to require an ID to vote in US elections. The most common one I see is: It’s an attempt by the republicans to deny the vote to poor by making it to difficult to vote.

But I never see complaints about the fact that it already usually requires an ID to register to vote. Below is the MN requirements to register. Now you can register without an ID, but you have to have another person sign an oath saying you are eligable, or you have to have a registration under a different name, in the same precinct.

So why is Voter ID so contriversial, but the IDs to register aren’t?

Minnesota’s requirements to register to vote:

From a quick look at the website those aren’t the requirements to register, they’re the requirements for same-day registration. There is a mail-in form for pre-registering that does not seem to require photo ID at all.

“A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath” is not an ID.

The forms of identification that are necessary to register are insufficient for voting purposes in states which have tightened the voting law. My state requires a picture ID of a specific type and which is unexpired. In some states acquiring sufficient identification can cost $35, a needless burden on the poor and having the same effect as a poll tax. And what happens if you are waiting in a long line at 7:00p.m. or whenever polls close and you realize you forgot your driver’s license?

With regards to the Minnesota id - the month my wife and I got married, we went to vote in a primary election. We were fairly ignorant on the requirements for same-day registration and only one of us had the correct documentation. The poll workers’ solution was for that person to register and then vouch for the other with a signed oath.

Why do you hate freedom?

Voter ID at the polls accomplishes very little. The real fraud is in registration and absentee balloting.

If we tighten up the registration process, by requiring proof of identity, and having a system where registration in one place automatically deletes you from every other place you are registered, then ID at the polls would be unnecessary.

But if you don’t have a registration process with integrity, all voter ID does is require non-citizens and people voting twice to just show ID when they do it.

The 3 states I have registered to vote in have no required an ID to do so. Just a mail in card, and then I tell them my name at my polling place. Montana, California, and Pennsylvania.

That being said, I have been asked for my ID the last 3 times I have voted in PA that I can remember, and possibly more. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but I’m curious now as to what was happening there…

Because the former is a fairly blatant attempt to keep likely Democratic voters away, and the latter is a sensible requirement?

True, but to register by mail, you have to plan ahead of time, and I don’t see a lot of people sitting around in August, filling out bogus registration forms, so they can duplicate vote in November. In addition, a postcard is sent out to the address you register from. So either there will be a record of 100 people all saying they live in the same house, or a bunch of addresses are going to be surprise to find that they have a newly registered voter living with them.

You are correct, and I even mentioned that in my OP. But like The Lurker Above’s response, I don’t see a lot of people gathering up someone to sign an oath, just to vote a second time.

[Citation needed]

I don’t understand this; how do we know that all the poor people are democrats?

I see this as more likely. “Here homeless guy, I’ll help you register to vote absentee. Then sign the ballot, give it to me and I’ll give you $$.”

We don’t, because they aren’t. However, the demographic groups which are least likely to have photographic ID are overwhelmingly Democratic.

Citation for what? That I already said something in my own OP?

The right to vote is not guaranteed in the constitution, but it’s wrong to require ID to vote. OK. But why is it not wrong to require ID to buy a gun, a right that is in the constitution?

Interesting point.