Why is there a 10 story billboard of Joey Harrington hanging from a building in NY?

For about 6 months now, I noticed a huge poster of Joey Harrington hanging from a building across the street (on 7th Avenue) from Madison Square Garden. Now, for those of you who don’t know, Joey Harrington is the quarterback for the University of Oregon football team. I know who he is because he made me alot of money by helping Oregon beat Texas in a bowl game last year. So I think that he can be considered a hero in the Pacific Northwest. But why the heck would there be a gigantic picture of him in NY?

I originally thought that he was advertising for Nike. But then I remembered that college players aren’t allowed to do that. And Harrington will still be playing college ball this upcoming year.

So my guess is that he won somebody a lot of money just like he did for me. But that’s just a guess.

Anybody know the real reason? If not, your guess is certainly welcome.

The University of Oregon is trying to garner votes for Harrington to win the Heisman Trophy. Apparently, they are undertaking a massive marketing campaign on his behalf.

What’s the big deal about that? I got two words for ya: Boomer and Sooner. P.S. Where’d you find the sucker willing to put money on Texas? I need his phone number by October 6th.:wink:

If you look around, you’ll find people who will take any bet you want. They’re called bookies. But of course I must warn you that placing bets with them is illegal. And not paying them in a timely fashion can be painful.

But back to the original question…Is K. Daniel’s reason correct? Did Oregon pay for that billboard?

Yes, it’s correct - see this week’s Sports Illustrated (which has Harrington on the cover). Oregon boosters paid $250,0000 for it.

Yeah, he’s correct. Here’s a story that touches on the subject.

Apparently they spent $250,000 on it. Not everyone was pleased by this expenditure, to put it lightly.

Now, can anyone explain the big “Gladys Glover” sign above Columbus Circle?

It’s not available online, but the current Sports Illustrated (the college football preview issue) has an article on him. Some Oregon boosters paid $250K for the billboard, as part of their advertising campaign for Harrington’s Heisman chances.

Yes, the world of college football is crazy.

Thanks guys! I’ve been wondering about this for months. One thing: they don’t mention his name on the poster. I recognized him, but most people won’t. I guess that they’re relying on the “Who’s that?” question being asked.

Are you sure about that?

The article SmackFu linked to states:

I must’ve missed it. I’ll have to check it out again today.