Why is there no standard English equivalent for the "f-word"?

[QUOTE=jebert]
Unsatisfying. Most of the examples have single word equivalents:

drop off -> decline
drop out -> stop

[/quote]

Nope, those verb phrases have multiple meanings. Drop off as in “drop off my kids at school” and drop out as in “drop out of the Marine Corp”.

Your question has basically been answered. IMHO you’re just being argumentative now.

[QUOTE=alanak]
I think you ignoring phrases is the trouble. Lots of things cannot be expressed in just one word.
[/QUOTE]

Lots of things, but not this one. Witness “fuck.”

Obviously it can be expressed in one word. Just not in standard English apparently.
That is, in a non-archaic, transitive verb.

[QUOTE=jebert]
Lots of things, but not this one. Witness “fuck.”

Obviously it can be expressed in one word. Just not in standard English apparently.
That is, in a non-archaic, transitive verb.
[/QUOTE]

The point we’re trying to make is that there are many other concepts that can’t be expressed in one word either (in “standard English”). So what? There’s nothing special about “fuck”.

I think the word you’re looking for is schtup. Or maybe that isn’t standard English.

Bang.

What do you mean by “standard English” anyway? Why is "fuck"not a standard English word?

Personally, as a woman, I vote for “service”.

“He went home and serviced his wife”

That sounds like an afternoon well spent!

[QUOTE=scr4]
What do you mean by “standard English” anyway? Why is "fuck"not a standard English word?
[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? It’s enhanced English!

[QUOTE=IvoryTowerDenizen]
Personally, as a woman, I vote for “service”.

“He went home and serviced his wife”

That sounds like an afternoon well spent!
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a tune-up and oil-change to me. And would the wife service her husband at the same time?

[QUOTE=jebert]
Lots of things, but not this one. Witness “fuck.”

Obviously it can be expressed in one word. Just not in standard English apparently.
That is, in a non-archaic, transitive verb.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you could try to explain in a bit more detail why you seem to think this is something extraordinary, requiring some special explanation?

[QUOTE=Giles]
That sounds like a tune-up and oil-change to me. And would the wife service her husband at the same time?
[/QUOTE]

Well, perhaps a lube job… :slight_smile:

It’s usually more fun that way! :o

(OK, I’m officially flashing back to high school now… giggle, he said “lube”)

[QUOTE=Giles]
That sounds like a tune-up and oil-change to me.
[/quote]

Well, perhaps a lube job… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Giles]
And would the wife service her husband at the same time?
[/QUOTE]

Well, It’s usually more fun that way! :o

(OK, I’m officially flashing back to high school now… giggle, he said “lube”)

“To bed” works. As does “to know.” As does “to love.” You can look them all up on dictionary.com if you don’t believe me.

“to coit his wife”.

Coitus. Coition. I coit, you coit, he/she/they coit. “Hey Babs, wanna coit?”

The word you’re looking for is ‘fuck’. Nice standard English word. Transitive, even.

[QUOTE=jebert]
Unsatisfying. Most of the examples have single word equivalents:

drop off -> decline
drop out -> stop
I did. It’s not in my Webster’s New Collegiate or American Heritage. I did find it on-line. Fortunately, it’s transitive. Unfortunately it’s archaic.
[/QUOTE]

Well it is in the latest edition of Chambers which is recognised as being the most comprehensive single-volume English Dictionary currently in print.

Archaic or not, it’s still there.

“Roger”

As in “I gave the wife a savage rogering last night”

[QUOTE=Qadgop the Mercotan]
Coitus. Coition. I coit, you coit, he/she/they coit. “Hey Babs, wanna coit?”
[/QUOTE]

I’m not on birth control sugar, you’ll have to do me in the toit.

I think you are not asking quite the right question. What you really want to know is why, when most extremely common and much thought about activities have a simple polite and commonly used word for them, the usual word used for this particular very common human activity is considered impolite ie “fuck” and why all the other terms are archaic sounding, imprecise, euphemistic, ambiguous, not in common usage, or are phrases that dance around the subject matter.

The short answer is that in Western society (and perhaps most others, I’m not sure) sex is taboo.

[QUOTE=Rigamarole]
I’m not on birth control sugar…
[/QUOTE]
Birth control sugar? That accounts for the frosting on her cupcake.