Why is this movie so popular???

Because they’re fun to watch? I hate to burst some bubbles here, but speaking as a consumer, I want to watch something ENTERTAINING, not neccesarily something that makes me a better person or enlightens me. And when I shell out to see a movie in the theater, with all the cost and hassle it entails, I want to see a movie that requires a large screen and Dolby surround. If I want to watch something thoughtful or moving or whatever, I’ll rent the DVD.

I love Fear and Loathing.

I got it.

I think you mean Enter the Fist.TeemingOne

Point well taken. If I want to see something that has tons of special effects, the big screen is the only way to go. I think all movies have a better effect on the big screen, there’s just something captivating about it, that is, as long as no one is having an hour long conversation in front of you, or kicking your seat from behind. :slight_smile:

Oh, since others mentioned, add Citizen Kane and Thelma and Louise to my list. Not only was Citizen Kane boring, but I knew the big secret almost from the moment the movie opened. How could anyone be surprised? Thelma and Louise, I just chalked the appeal up to firing some feminine neural traces that I was just born without.

I had Blair Witch Project on my original list, but cut it before posting since I figured lots of people (like me) hated it. What drivel that was.

I will take my chances and show you my list. No hijack intended here, but it seems like we are heading that way anyway.

Movies I have watched several times:

• Mulholland Drive
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Buffalo '66
  • Short Cuts
  • Box of Moon Light
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Natural Born Killers
  • Good Housekeeping
  • Sweet and Lowdown
  • Platoon
  • Welcome to the Dollhouse
  • Unforgiven
  • The Godfather
  • Apollo 13
  • Magnolia
  • The Ice Storm
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • Psycho
  • Raising Arizona
  • This Boy’s Life
  • Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid
  • The Sting
  • Barton Fink
  • Five Easy Pieces
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Midnight Express
  • Play it Again Sam
  • The Last Detail
  • Adaptation

Worth seeing once:

• A Simple Plan
  • Sex and Lucia
  • The Crying Game
  • Being John Malkovich
  • High Fidelity
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • The Panic in Needle Park
  • My Own Private Idaho
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Drugstore Cowboy
  • The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover
  • Scent of a Woman
  • Flirting with Disaster
  • Boogie Nights
  • The Full Monty
  • The Man Who Wasn’t There
  • Vanilla Sky
  • Ghost World
  • Holy Smoke
  • Muriel’s Wedding
  • Go
  • Another Day in Paradise
  • Girls Don’t Cry
  • Leaving Las Vegas

I don’t think they ever married. I love Blue Velvet, but the first time I saw it, I felt like I’d witnessed a rape when it was over. Strong stuff.

I absolutely despiseThe English Patient. My wife and I thought it felt like a five hour movie. I loved the Seinfeld episode where Elaine blows up at the movie theater and tells everyone it’s a crappy movie.

I typically enjoy Q. T. movies, but PF was a turd to me. Quentin makes some awesome dialogues but something PF just seemed to draw them out too far. Reservoir Dogs, From Dusk Til Dawn, Desperado - i could watch them over and over (and i have). But PF just didn’t lick me the right way.

Hmm… movies that I really hated…

There’s Something About Mary
Meet the Parents

Both of these caused me to cringe and I couldn’t watch them through. Meet the Parents I did finish watching just because… well I don’t know why. Mary… that one I have never seen the whole thing through and don’t want to.

I would say that if you’ve seen ANY crime film made since “Pulp Fiction”'s release first, it might be hard to see what’s so wonderful about it.

If you saw it during its original theater release, with only whatever came before it to prepare you, it was a revelation.

An astounding number of mid-to-late nineties films owe a great debt to Tarantino’s film. It may simply be a film of its time that has lost its impact due to constant “borrowing”.

Hey, I liked Titanic. I loved the whole spectacle of it, the visuals, the score, etc. I know the CGI people from the bird’s-eye shots were kinda stiff, and the music was pretty manipulative, but dang I still liked it (except for the Celine Deon bit at the end). The only parts of the movie I didn’t like were those that focused on Jack and Rose.

Wait, that’s almost the whole movie, isn’t it? But you know what, I still liked it.

I always hear about how PF was so “influential” and so many films copied its style and techniques. And yet, besidse Go, I can’t think of a single one. Anybody want to enlighten me?

Sophisticated college-level dialogue? They talk about Big Macs and bad TV shows and wether pigs have more personality than dogs. Yeah, okay, that does sounds pretty much like your average college dorm banter. Still, they’re not talking about Descartes, here. I’ve always thought the gangster characters weren’t terribly smart. Especially Travolta’s character. I thought it was pretty clear that they’re just hopped up thugs, who think they’ve got some depth because they’ve got nice suits and big guns. Really, they’re just shallow, violent losers, at least until that final scene in the dinner, where Jackson’s character grows some. By that time, thanks to the film’s structure, we already know that Travolta’s failure to mature similarly will ultimatly kill him.

Actually, I’ve found that the dialogue in Pulp Fiction really only works in the context of the film. The famous Le Big Mac dialogue is achingly banal without the violent coda to the scene. The soundtrack has some great songs on it, but I hate the samples from the movie. Taken on its own, the dialogue is just lame. It’s only when you’re watching it come out of the mouths of Sam Jackson and John Travolta that it works.

Alright, generally well regarded and/or popular movies I hate, some already covered by others:

Forrest Gump
Good Will Hunting
E.T.
A Beautiful Mind
High Noon
Blade
Scary Movie
Ghost
Swingers
Go!
Throw Mama From The Train
The Maltese Falcon
(1941)
Field Of Dreams
It’s A Wonderful Life
Heat
(1995)

Wow, I feel kinda special, with the exception of Citizen Kane, I haven’t seen any of these movies.

You know, with regards to Kane…we rented it and watched it once, and then we were watching clips of it in my film class and I couldn’t remember ANY of the scenes. I can’t even remember if I liked it or not.

See, this sums up the subjectivety of films…depending on who’s and what activities are involved, I find ass quite fascinating! :smiley:

Citizen Kane is always hailed as the best movie of all time but I find it slow and boring. Sure, if you watch it from a techical perspective as a piece of directing, it’s first class. But as entertainment, it’s not as good as its contemporaries Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz.

Pearl Harbor was not nearly as well done as its predecessor Tora!Tora!Tora! Likewise Titanic was a pale imitation of A Night to Remember. Both could have been great movies, but the love stories were sappy, although Titanic’s was much better done than Pearl Harbor.

Just to name a few:

Get Shorty
The Way of the Gun
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
The Usual Suspects
Snatch
Memento
Thursday
The Boondock Saints
Knockaround Guys
2 Days in the Valley

I’m sure there are many more. This is just off the top of my head.

Really, though, the whole “crime movie” genre got a huge boost from the popularity of Pulp Fiction. I remember when it first came out and there were not very many crime films being released. Then suddenly–after PF-- you see a lot more of them being made.

Well, then, it’s not a big secret, is it? :slight_smile: I agree that if you don’t like a movie it’s no big deal, but Citizen Kane slow? It goes through the man’s whole complex life from several different angles in two hours. I admit that slow pacing annoys me - particularly everything I’ve ever seen by Kubrick - but I liked CK. Maybe speed is subjective. :slight_smile:

I thought Pulp Fiction was alright. For me, though, if a film doesn’t have a solid story or at least an overall message - if you can’t immediately answer the question, “What is this film about?” - then it’s wanting something. Or maybe there was a coherent message that I just missed, but my friends missed it too, because they couldn’t answer it.

To truly appreciate Greek Weding, I think you have to either be from or know a Big Fat Greek family. I have a couple of Greek friends and a Greek aunt by marriage so a lot of the movie rings true for me (the Greek flag on everything, the wierd grandma, the dad with crazy stories that don’t make any sense, lot’s of Nicks and Guses, etc.)

Pulp Fiction basically created the genre of slick “buddy” ganster films where clever dialogue and witty banter between what could be a group of bumbling, charasmatic frat guys on a roadtrip makes you forget that these are violent psychopaths.

There’s Something About Mary was funny until you seen the rest of the Farrelly brother movies that consists of basically “dumb doofus gets super hot girl out of his league” (Me Myself & Irene, Shallow Hall, Say it isn’t So)
I couldn’t even sit through Being John Malcovich