What movies do you hate that everyone else loved?

Monday Morning Thread #7
OK, it’s Tuesday, so sue me!

Inspired by another thread, I came up with this one. It was only a matter of time…

I walked out of the movie “No Way Out”, fell asleep during “JFK”, sat through “Forrest Gump” grumbling the entire time. “Good Will Hunting” - I don’t think so. “Shakespeare in Love” - Spritle in bathroom.

Your contributions??

Grosse point blank … or whatever.

I didn’t get it. I’m a huge John Cusack film, but this film just wasn’t funny.

oh well.

The English Patient : I absolutely despised this movie and every character in it.
Shakespeare in Love : At best, mediocre.

I hate It’s A Wonderful Life.

I’m officially a cynical bitch now.

I got you all beat.

The Sound of Friggin’ Music

Not sure if we would classify it as a movie, or a musical: either way, it blows. No, it’s not funny. No, there’s nothing historically important about it. No, seven Nazi kids singing in canon is not entertainment.

Blair Witch Project.

I’m really easy to please movie wise, seriously. I liked Meet Joe Black, I enjoy Shakespeare in Love, I think movies that fit thier genre are fine and not particularly bad, useless, but not bad.

Blair Witch was useless, bad, and I had problems ignoring the plot holes.

I can ignore the plot holes in MI2.

American Pie. Hated it. Well, more along the lines of “Why am I watching this? Can I stop now?”

Blair Witch is still the biggie though.

Gone with the Wind: I tried, I really did, but I couldn’t sit more than halfway through it.

South Park, the Movie: Well, everyone that wasn’t offended by the material seems to love it. I wasn’t offended, I just didn’t think it was particularly funny. It had it’s moments, but mostly it was just cheap toilet humor.

damn The Matrix. damn it to hell. my hatred only grows the more people insist that it’s a good movie. i think i only mild disliked it when i first saw it, but the more people try to convince me it is worthy of worship, the more i despise it and that keanu reeves. (i swear, “Bill and Ted’s EA” was his greatest work.)

American Pie.

–Anake

Independence Day

Saw it with a group of people who loved it, while I was sitting there thinking “This is such crap!”

Blair Witch & Titanic also come to mind.

Titanic - mediocre acting, predictable and uninteresting plot, and one of the worst miscasts (DiCaprio) of all time. Leo is a good actor, but that part should have gone to someone a bit more mature and masculine looking.

Forrest Gump - What a piece of crap that movie was. Tom Hanks has got to be the worst actor to ever win an Oscar (and he’s won 2!). Did anyone notice how he lost his slow accent half way through the movie? And the story was just stupid.

The Deer Hunter - While I thought this had the potential to be a damn good movie, I was disappointed with the length of the wedding scene. And I hated the movie because the Christopher Walken character plays Russian Roulette for months without dying while the DeNiro character goes back to the USA and then returns to Vietnam. To survive that long is statistically impossible and I hate it when a movie doesn’t make sense.

I’ll second The Matrix, Shakespeare in Love, and Good Will Hunting. I’d like to add American Beauty, The Green Mile (actually, I’ve never met anyone else who loves this movie; but it got nominated for best picture and Magnolia didn’t), and Run, Lola, Run. I thought it was okay, but the best part of it was the soundtrack.

Titanic arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
and man on the moon pittoey

I’ll have to respectfully disagree – beneath the (thick) veneer of potty-mouth dialog and cheap jokes, the South Park movie IMO offered a heaping dose of biting satire, brilliant wit, and pointed social commentary. I sincerely think it was one of the most intelligent and thought-provoking movies of the year. My only wariness about getting a copy is the fear that my tot will eventually see it unsupervised and warp his fragile little mind. :slight_smile:

And to address the OP: Gone With the Wind. Four hours of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Titanic - what happens to the ship is the least predictable thing about this.

Incontinence Day - puhleeze! Hacking an alien computer? And installing a virus! Have you anything like a clue?!

The Phranchise Menace Lucas is one of the few people who’ve managed to sell out - to himself.

Jurassic Park Arggh! Yet more adorable moppets saving the day, and the T.Rex at the end standing under the banner with “When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth” or some such drivel. Why, oh why, can’t directors resist the urge to yank you out of the story with a cutesy bit?

** The Rocky Horror Picture Show **

Crap.

“No,” you say, “it’s * CAMP*! It’s so bad it’s good!”

No, it’s so bad it’s crap. And don’t throw any of your stupid rice at me, either.

Austin Powers – I walked out about 10 minutes into it.
The X Files – I was a fan of the show, but I couldn’t get into the story. Plus I couldn’t hear a damn thing.
The Blair Witch Project – I fell asleep about 20 minutes into it.

And just so you all hate me …

The Wizard of Oz.

I don’t know what it is about that movie, but I can’t stand watching it. I avoid it whenever possible.

“Raging Bull” Nope, don’t get it. Snore.

Also “The Deer Hunter”.

And it’s not that I hate Di Niro. That’s just two widely worshipped movies that I really couldn’t stand.

Also “Sound of Music” _ ack! help! lemme outta here!

Good Will Hunting was pablum, pure and stupid. Apocalypse Now was a hugely overrated snoozefest.

OTOH, I quite liked both Shakespeare in Love and Grosse Pointe Blank, and so did all the cool people. So there! :stuck_out_tongue:

Gone with the Wind

Sound of Muzak

Citizen Kane - it was brilliantly filmed, but the story was weak and had a truck sized plot hole from the start.

Independence Day, Twister and any other flick that’s all special effects, no plot.

and the capper…

Something About Mary: All my friends RAVED about this idiotic chunk of drivel. “It’s the funniest movie ever. I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself.” Etc. I went. I watched. I chuckled in the two scenes with the dog and sat there like I was watching a car wreck the rest of the time. It completely solidified what has become a sacred rule: If Chris Elliot has a hand in any production, avoid it like the creeping death.