Why it's better to be an adult, food edition

As I sprinkled some Gorgonzola on a salad the other day, I started thinking about my late father, a major fan of many stinky cheeses. When I was a kid, I thought “Ew, gross,” but now that both I and my palate have matured a bit, I find myself emulating him.

Not all foods that adults enjoy and kids find unpalatable are quite as pungent as the various bleu cheeses, of course, but they’re mostly strongly flavored. Dark chocolate, for instance, is a food that most young uns don’t care for but is the first choice of people of middle age or more.

What are some other foods that adults adore and kids turn up their noses (perhaps literally) at?

I know quite a few adults don’t like liver (yum yum yum), but even fewer kids do.

Also, aside from fish sticks, most kids aren’t exposed to fish dishes much, and I’m inclined to think are averse to the “smelly” types especially.

Also: Sushi

Artichokes.
I remember my first taste, . . . I ran and heaved in my bathroom sink.
Now, I love them.

It was my Grandma’s cabbage rolls for me (made with sour cabbage). Now I love them and every so often I break down and make a giant batch for myself…

Mushrooms – most kids won’t eat mushrooms unless they’re on a pizza, and if the pieces are large enough, they’ll pick 'em off, the little peasants.

Oysters – mom made awesome oyster stew. I’d fill a bowl with oyster crackers and the milk but wouldn’t have eaten an oyster if you paid me. Now I love them – stewed, smoked, broiled, fried, whatever.

My husband has adult kids who won’t eat tomatoes in any form except juice or sauce. If they see a chunk of tomato, they put it on the side of the plate. I hate feeding his kids. Glad I’m not asked to do it very often. They’re all like three-year-olds.

When I was a kid, I didn’t even like mustard, since I thought it was too hot. Nowadays, I absolutely love mustard, and like hot peppers much more than anyone else in my family (a jalapeno is not a “hot chili pepper”, people!).

I also wasn’t fond of sour foods like citrus as a kid. They’re still not my favorite, but I can certainly enjoy an orange now, or a glass of juice.

For me it was olives, mushrooms, and onions. I used to find them all disgusting, but gradually, I began to add them, little by little, to my food. I went from Subway’s black olives to Greek olives stuffed with garlic. Mushrooms, I think, were something that I’d always had some manner of taste for, but simply wasn’t willing to admit it–it wasn’t “cool” to like some nasty fungus, after all. Now I eat 'em with impunity. And while not even my mother likes raw onions, I feel like they add so much flavor to just about any dish that I can’t imagine not eating them.

Avocados & Cream Cheese- I did not come to love either one until I was in my twenties. Especially the Avocados- who’d want to eat those green, slimy things. Now I can eat a whole one with a little lime and salt- delicious!

I still haven’t gotten over my aversion to mayo though…YACK!

Ooh, remembered another one: Squash. My mom loves yellow squash, and grows and eats it all summer long, but I never liked it. Then, a couple of years ago, a friend invited me over for dinner. One of the things they were having was squash, and I figured it’d be rude to not have any at all, so I dished up a small portion, and was promptly surprised that it was actually pretty good.

Brussel Sprouts

I hated them when I was a kid. They are probably my favorite vegetable now.

Avocados. I wouldn’t touch them (among a whole list of other things like onions, clams, mushrooms, cream cheese, etc.) for love or money. There is nothing like a ripe, fresh avocado, nutty and creamy with a bit of salt. It’s practically sexual. Maybe that’s why my mother would always be chortling when she ate them.

Hooray for sour cabbage cabbage rolls! So few people make them with sour cabbage, and it’s impossible to find frozen ones or a restaurant serving them. I’m delighted when I can find a person who has even *heard *of them!
To answer the OP, turnips, at least to some extent. I still don’t like them mashed, but they are the key ingredient in my famous vegetable stew. That may not sound like such a big deal, but given how much I hated them as a kid, it’s a huge leap for me.

Excuse my hijack, but what is “sour cabbage?” Something like unchopped sauerkraut?

I vote sauteed greens. I still can’t do collard (born and raised in the north), though.

Oooo, that just reminded me of another one: guacamole. I always order it at Chipotle, and I always have to add “I already know it costs extra,” because dangit, I just plain don’t care. Guac is yummy.

Oh, I know! Which is why I learned to make them myself. The only place I ever found them (outside of my Grandma or one of her sister’s kitchens) was at a farmer’s market. One time, and I haven’t found them again.

Pretty much exactly that. It’s a whole head of cabbage that has been turned sour in the same manner. This is what I buy in the store and the recipe is similar to Grandma’s. You use it like you would normal cabbage to make the rolls, only there is no need to boil the cabbage first to soften it, you just have to trim the rib a little so it bends easier. Sooo yummy.

see, my brother and i are very strange, we grew up loving veggies. I do not remember when I had my first artichoke, I always ate them. I have always loved brussels sprouts, spinach, lima beans …

Maybe it is because my mom never used canned slimey spinach, we only had it fresh out of the garden. She never liked commercially canned veggies, and we had a garden and she canned our own green beans, carrots, corn and fruits. Most stuff we tended to have cooked properly instead of boiled down into mush. We also benefitted from frozen veggies, we had one of those big hide a few bodies in it style chest freezers.

About the only thing that happened bad was when my mom went into a hospital and dad had the housekeeper feed us one evening. Mom had the habit of making stewed tomatoes with salt, and she made it with sugar, and my brother and i decided they were the worst food ever and refused to eat stewed tomatoes for months afterwards.

I think that if you keep kids eating veggies from the get go, and don’t let them think they can force you into pampering them, there would be a lot less picky brat syndrome. We had to try everything on the plate, and my parents refused to make entirely separate food so it was eat or go hungry. Literally the only exception to this was me and mushrooms … the smell of them made me upchuck dinner before I could actually get them close enough to my mouth to eat them, so I wasn’t unwilling to try them but obviously my body was indicating in no uncertain terms that I was allergic to them. Later that year, I got the scratch test for allergies done and the doc said it would have been amazingly bad for me to eat them. Wasn’t until I was in hospital for surgery and I was given cream of mushroom soup and went into anaphylaxis that it was made very plain that they were something I really wanted to avoid for the rest of my life …

Definitely cheese, like twickster. I hated any ‘fancy’ cheese as a kid. I thought that the plastic-wrapped American slices and Kraft mac and cheese were delicious.
Now, I love a huge variety of cheese, even the stinky ones.

Heh, my 13-year-old and I went to Chipotle last week, and I got guacamole with the chips. He’s always been really good about trying new foods, and had a taste of the guac, but he hated it.
He does like spicy food, though. He got the hot salsa and ate every bit.

everything you guys are mentioning in this thread is disgusting. I’m glad I’m still a kid…

I’ve raised my kids to like fancy cheese (they mostly eschew cheap processed cheeses). It was an expensive mistake.

Horseradish!