Why not wear masks forever?

I think you make a good point that mask wearing even after covid could be a permanent thing.

The problem is that mask-wearing only by the ill, stigmatizes anyone who wears a mask. Ideally you would have a lot of healthy people wearing it as well.

I expect we won’t see people wearing them out and about in normal circumstances, but I fully intend to wear a mask when on public transit or in medical offices for the rest of my life. Plausibly at the theater or in any other crowded public space where socializing isn’t the primary motive.

Or we could be rational adults for once and be grateful for those who do.

I disagree, but feel free to spread your ideas and see if they catch on.

I hope that mask-wearing remains “normal” and common, especially among those with mild colds.

You must not get a sick from a cold as I do. I HATE catching cold. I am miserable for a week, and unhappy for 3-4 weeks, when I catch a cold. I’ve been avoiding people with obvious cold symptoms for years, and I will be DELIGHTED if it becomes rude to sniffle or cough in public when you aren’t wearing a mask.

I’ve found several. I can wear surgical masks, home-made cloth masks with a metal wire insert (to shape over the nose) and Starks Vacuum brand masks, as well as a fancy thing I bought on Kickstarter.

I believe that the trick is to pull the mask up high enough. If you let it drift down the nose, your breath will filter up on either side on the nose and fog your glasses. I pull my mask up to the top of my nose, and usually tuck it just slightly under the bottom of my glasses.

I’ve come home from a vigorous walk wearing a Stark’s mask to have my cheeks covered in condensation and my glasses clear and dry.

Do you think that’s physical or psychological? I have worn an N90 mask all day when my mom was hospitalized, and I’ve done some heavy yard work wearing a cloth mask, and haven’t had issues – except, when I was doing the heavy yard work, the cloth mask quite suddenly become water-logged, and I stopped being able to breath. It was literally like a switch was turned, one breath was fine, and the next I was making bubbles. But I haven’t had that problem with any other mask or in any other circumstance.

(I was wearing the mask while doing yard work because it was peak pollen season, and I happened to have a house full of masks – not to avoid viruses. So I just took off the mask, went inside, and swapped it for a dry mask.)

I’m also awaiting a kickstarter thing that’s a transparent face mask, which will hopefully allow those who are hard of hearing to read my lips. We’ll see, It’s supposed to arrive this month.

I think it’s me. I know I have relatively terrible lung capacity, though not to asthmatic level. I’m not unfit (I’ve improved my cycling times quite satisfactorily during the recent Melbourne lockdown) and I’m sure that all these people scientifically demonstrating on YouTube videos that you can get enough oxygen in a mask are perfectly correct - but it’s not oxygen levels that your body detects, it’s CO2 buildup, and I think that my body is just detecting that with great sensitivity.

In parts of Asia, and most especially Japan, people with colds wear masks ALL THE TIME and have for years.

There is no stigma attached, anymore than there is a stigma attached to waving at a driver to allow the car in the lane next to you to enter your lane. It’s called basic human decency. No penalty if you don’t do it, but it’s gracious when you do.

Yeah, there’d only be a stigma to wearing a mask if there were a stigma against people with colds, and I don’t think that’s ever been a thing. Some diseases, sure, but not the common cold.

Although, funny thing is, some healthy people in Japan do wear masks. Because of sick people wearing them, they became common enough to be unremarkable. And so Japanese celebrities took to wearing masks in public, to hide their identity (much like American celebrities do with sunglasses). And much like sunglasses, because celebrities were wearing them, masks became fashionable.

I will be wearing masks, especially at work for the foreseeable future. I don’t see a downside to them. Other than the glasses fogging thing.

Around these parts wearing a mask is the equivalent of waving a huge flag announcing to the local rednecks that you are a brainwashed liburl living in fear of a non-existent hoax disease created by Democrats solely as an attempt to usurp the power of his Majesty, Lord and Savior, the Exalted Donald J. Trump.

I must be one of the few that doesn’t mind them that much.

I’ve not yet had to wear one for more than 4-5 hours, which isn’t that long. And I only wear glasses in the car or at movies, so I haven’t had the glasses fogging up problem. But really it’s not that bad.

I’ve had to “yell” a couple times to make sure people could understand me - but that’s probably just because I have a quieter voice. I’ve gone running/brisk walking with them on, and while the masks are disgusting after and I need to change them - the same is true for all of the other clothing and they didn’t get in the way.

I can easily see continuing to wear masks with minor sniffles or in crowds where I don’t know who might be passing germs around. It doesn’t feel like a big deal.

You can go commando if you want.

I’ve seen some talk that COVID may become endemic. If so the whole world may have to wear masks from now on.

Hint folks: if your glasses are fogging that’s a clear sign your mask is doing very little good for you or especially for anyone else. You may as well lower it below your nose for all the good it’s doing. If your glasses are fogging you’re wearing an outbound cough shield and that’s about it.

Get one that fits and wear it snug enough that your glasses don’t fog. That’s how you do some good for yourself and others.

Can I have a cite for these claims? I have not heard that elsewhere – fogging glasses seem to be a widespread problem and I haven’t seen any source that says it’s as bad as having it below your nose.

Fogging is caused by unfiltered air escaping around your mask when you exhale. And a similar amount of unfiltered air comes the other way when you inhale.

It’s not precisely as bad as wearing your mask below your nose, because less than 100% of your breath (in or out) is escaping around your mask whereas if worn below the nose substantially 100% of your breath (in or out) is going around the mask.

The dynamics of air sucked in and air pushed out are different. And I think a little leakage around most masks is normal – not ideal, of course, but a “feature” of most masks that aren’t fitted respirators.

But fogging glasses is obviously bad. And my glasses are made of glass and extremely easy to get fogged in general. And I have managed to fit a wide variety of masks so that my glasses DON’T fog. Your face may be so differently shaped that my advice doesn’t help, but I really urge everyone with “fogged glasses from masks” to give it a try. Pull the mask up higher and snugger. Add a bit of metal wire or a thin metal sheet (I’ve seen them for sale) to the nose-cover of fabric masks that leak. USE that piece of metal to fold the mask to the shape of your face.

This isn’t really a cite. I’ve looked and I see advice on how to stop your glasses from fogging, but nothing I found says it’s even close to pulling your mask below your nose. Even if I sealed the top of the mask, lots of breath escapes in other directions – this will always happen with any of the cloth or paper masks that people are wearing.

I think the point of non-respirator masks is to stop the breath from going very far, and to reduce the viral load if you are exposed.

Right now I am spending most of the day talking into a headset, and I will say that full headset and mask leaves me feeling very smothered and uncomfortable. I don’t think it’s a thing I will get used to.