[QUOTE=Valteron]
Three hundred years ago, people like me would have been put to death by Christian society for being an atheist and for being gay. So if a gay atheist like myself can now not only NOT get killed but get more people to think logically and not believe in fairy tales, then I consider that a great improvement. Don’t you?
In fact, I have had an influence in helping others turn from the superstition that is religion and learn to think for themselves. Among these are my nephews and neice. I cannot claim ALL the credit, but if those three kids today reject religion, their uncle Valteron played a big role in opening their eyes.
I consider that a kindness, don’t you? If I can get someone to reject the brainwashing of religion and think as a free man or woman, I consider I have done an act of charity.
Why would you need to pray for me? I am happy, I enjoy life. Without needing to believe in God. But if you want to waste your time, knock yourself out!
And where the Hell do you get off preaching to me about how I should help those less fortunate? What makes you think I don’t already do more than you do? In fact I do very little volunteer work. This is because my time is worth about $60 an hour. It makes much more sense for me to earn money working and donate generously to good causes like the SPCA, the local shelter for the homeless, the hospice for AIDS sufferers, the atheist and humanist associations, and others working for the betterment of humanity.
But to homophobic organizations like the Catholic Church or the Salvation Army, I give the middle digit.
Frankly, a nice cheque for a few hundred to the local shelter does good, and I know it does. Much more good than wearing out my knees praying to a non-existent sky fairy.
[/QUOTE]
There is something to be said for being in proximity to the poor and needy. How many queers dying in a hospice are all alone and could use a kind word from Valteron? A hug maybe? But I digress, and far be it from me to judge how you choose to serve your fellow man.
The state of society 300 years ago is a bit of a red herring. WTF does that have to do with how wasteful my prayer may have been? Or how wasteful this entire thread is? I do agree that society being less aggresively intolerant is a good thing, but then again I don’t see how that is relevant to this discussion.
I really did not know you are gay. Maybe i have not been paying attention. That sheds a little light on some of your attitudes regarding Christianity.
Your attitude is shows the failure of those who profess to follwo Christ. It is obvious that what you have experienced from the “church” is not something that is attractive to you. If I may use a LARGE brush I would guess you have at best been marginalized or ignored, and at worst shouted at and discriminated agaist, having the eternal disposition of your sould called into question becuse you kiss boys.
And for that I am truly sorry. It is the great failing of the “church” that we refuse to show the love of Jesus to so many.
I lead a social justice mission at my church. If there is a rally for gay rights in August, we take them bottled water. If the KKK comes in January, we take them hot chocolate. (not that gays and the KKK have anything more in common than being politically polarizing) It is our mission to show the radical love of Jesus to everyone. We don’t “love the sinner - hate the sin”, we just love people and worry about our own sin.
I don’t think you “need” prayer. I offer it on your behalf freely.