Why was ___ afraid of seven?

We’re fighting about this at work. The coworker says that since 7 ate 9, ten is right next door, so he’s spooked. I say that 6 is parked right next to the homicidal number and thus he’s the scared one. Besides, it messes up the flow if you go “10, 7, 8, 9”. It only makes sense as “6, 7, 8, 9”.

Obivously, 6 is afraid of 7, right?

It’s 6. Your coworker is dumb.

10 lives around the corner. Its ridiculous to think that he even knows what 7 is capable of.

I predict this thread will go better than the circle/cycle thread.

6 isn’t afraid of seven because they’re adjacent. 6 is afraid of 7 because that’s just the way the riddle goes. It’s the same reason that Little Bo Peep is the one losing her sheep and not Little Miss Muffet; it’s because that’s Just The Way It Is.

Some things will never change.

It’s 6.

9 is 6’s mirror-image identical twin, so 6 is afraid 7’s acquired a taste.

Um, no mirror will turn 6 into 9. Or vice-versa.

Not with that attitude it won’t.

7 of 9. Resistance is futile.

The Barenaked Ladies had a lot of fun with this joke in a recent “children’s album”
7 8 9

Tuba

What is the square root of 69?

8 something.

That’s like phrasing a question about a race across the English Channel as between one-two-three cat and six-sept-huit cat.

Q. Who would win in a race across the English Channel: one-two-three cat or un-deux-trois cat?
A. One-two-three cat, because un-deux-trois cat sank. (“Quatre cinq.”)

Winner.

6 is afraid of 7 because 7 8 9 and 10.

I think the question is Tricky, Tricky.

Riddles… riddles never change.

But yeah your coworker is out of his mind.

Next door AND next to be eaten in sequence. I think that’s a valid interpretation. But that would destroy the flow of the joke.

That’s similar to Dickens writing that “dead as a coffin-nail” makes more sense than “dead as a door-nail”. But the alliteration wins.

I could see 10 being afraid of nine, since 9 8 7…

Also, I love the cat joke!