Why weren't ther any sequels to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I waited and waited for a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It seems like Bob Hoskins could revisit Toon Town and solve a lot more mysteries. Was there ever a better cartoon character than Jessica Rabbit? Eddie Valiant had a lot of potential as a comic private eye.

Did I overlook any sequels? They could still do one. Kathleen Turner has aged very badly but she still has the sexy voice for Jessica Rabbit. Lou Hirsch played the cigar smoking Baby Herman and Lou is still making movies. Bob Hoskins is nearly bald but otherwise he still looks about the same.

I always thought the sequel should be a mystery featuring Jessica Rabbit. She gets caught up in something dangerous and needs Eddie Valiant to help her. Roger Rabbit would just be a supporting character. Maybe a sidekick to Eddie.

How do you Dopers feel about this movie? Did you love it? Have you seen it multiple times?

I missed WFRR? when it was in the theatre, but bought a DVD copy when they were released. It’s a pretty bad movie, IMO.

IMDB does have a listing for a sequel in development, tho.

It was very expensive to make, and unprecedentedly had Disney and Warners working together, which they wouldn’t rush out to do. Plus it was Robert Zemeckis’s baby, and he got busy with other stuff.

But it’s been semi-planned for a while, so it might still happen. The problem is the technology to achieve it isn’t that exciting or unique anymore, taking the wind out of its sails somewhat.

There were three shorts made after the movie. I only saw the first one, Tummy Trouble, but it was very good. I’m not sure, but I don’t think there was much live-toon interaction, it was essentially just an animated short.

Bugs Bunny’s anti semitic tweets and multiple drug arrests make any studio hesitant to hire him, plus in the years since the movie Jessica has drawn on a lot of weight and Baby Herman insists on making every new role a Scientology mouthpiece.

I try to avoid trailers, as they tend to give away too much about the movie. I’ll be watching a movie, there’s a tense moment “oh no, how do they escape the bad guy?”, and I’ll recognize the scene from the trailer that shows what happened and the suspense disappears.

My brother dragged me to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and not only had I not seen a trailer, I’d not heard of the film at all. I asked him what it was about and he mumbled something about a detective film. I rather enjoyed the opening cartoon, as you rarely see them. Then it drifted into live action, and I figured it was an extended commercial before the film. And it kept going… Fucking amazing when I realized what was going on. I think it made the film 10x better.

Loved the film, sad they never did a sequel. I came across an interview long ago that discussed it, and it appears that there were ideas floated about but they took too long to develop and interest faded.

Major book spoilers. If you have not read it and there’s any chance you will, do not open.

Can’t be a sequel–Roger’s dead. He was dead all along, all that we saw as an after-effect doppelganger (something inherent to cartoons). Further, he wasn’t framed; he was the framer. Lastly, Jessica, awesome as she was, was not as wholesome as you think: she was a prostitute.

Caveat: it’s been 15-20 years since I read the book, so I could be completely misremembering.

He’s still taller than Tom Cruise, though, so at least he’s got that going for him.

There apparently was a prequel discussed at one time, Who discovered Roger Rabbit.

He did die in the first book, Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, but it was retconned in the sequel. Which is more alternate continuity than direct follow up. The first book was all a dream and the second is much more of a sequel to the film. There’s supposed to be a third from what I hear.

(With apologies for continuing to whisper in spoiler tags.)

Thanks. I never knew there actually was a sequel.

It was, amazingly enough, going to be a war movie.

That page shows perfectly why Wikipedia is simultaneously invaluable and a scourge upon humanity.

I didn’t know any of the facts about the Roger Rabbit prequel. (Which sounds awful from that first draft.) Somebody did a great bit of work to put that together.

Then at the end someone has to vandalize the page because the facts don’t agree with their opinions.

Footnote 54 goes to a pdf Kennedy, 60 Minutes, and Roger Rabbit: Understanding Conspiracy-Theory Explanations of The Decline of Urban Mass Transit by Martha J. Bianco, Portland State University. That says unequivocally that making GM the villain is a “conspiracy myth.” Which is what every modern academic study says.

Do not believe commentary about history on Wikipedia. Ever.

I thought the reason was because Jessica Rabbit was so devastatingly beautiful that no further films needed to be made.

I mean come y’all, “I not naughty, I’m just drawn this way” is not something you will ever forget (for your value of heterosexuality and masculinity).

Except that’s not the quote.

So what you’re telling me is that WFRR? isn’t entirely historically accurate?

…ehhhh… I wouldn’t say that.

I’ve seen it multiple times. Does a sequel really need to be made?

There was a time when movies were one-shots. There is no sequel to Gentleman’s Agreement, to Citizen Kane, to the Sound of Music, to Dog Day Afternoon, or to Scent of a Woman, among many others. Why should there be one to Roger Rabbit?

By sequel I meant new cases for Eddie Valiant to solve in toon town.

Roger Rabbits story was wrapped up in the first movie. I wouldn’t be interested in another story about him.

Eddie Valiant is a comic private eye parodying detectives like Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer. I expected several Eddie Valiant cases using Toon Town and its characters as a backdrop. Each movie would be a stand alone case that Eddie works.

<shrug> That’s what I wanted to see anyhow. There’s no telling what the hollywood writers would have delivered.

As Gary K. Wolfe (the author of the book) once said, “This is a movie about a cartoon rabbit.”

Wolfe, BTW, loved what Hollywood did to his book.