Why won't burned DVDs play in regular player?

I have DVD images on my hard drive that play fine in my DVD program on my computer.

I’ve looked at real DVDs, and it seems like they all have Video_ts and Audio_ts folders. I’ve burned DVDs from these images using the “data dvd” function in Nero. The discs then look like a real DVD as far as I can tell, and they do cause my DVD program to open and play when I put them in my computer.

I just bought a Norcent DP-220, and it’s wonderful; it plays my VCD, DivX, Xvid files. But it doesn’t seem to recognize these discs as real DVDs. Obviously it plays regular DVDs and other burned discs, so I’m at a loss as to what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Here is what VideoHelp has to say about the specs of the DP-220. Have a look at the comments.

It looks like it can play all the common types of discs. What specific brand and type of disc are you using?

When you burn the disc, are you creating a disc image, then burning the whole thing, then ‘closing’ the disc? I understand that it can lead to problems if you don’t close the disc.

They are Fujifilm DVD-Rs. I don’t know about closing the disc. I know Nero says it’s writing the leadout. Does that count?

The files I’m burning were given to me as DVD images. They exist this way on my HD. If I point my DVD program at an .ifo file, everything works great.

I’m a little unclear; are you writing an ISO file to the media, or the plain video_ts and audio_ts folders

If it’s the latter… I’ve had exactly the same problem, but everything I’m reading seems to suggest there’s no difference between a video DVD and video folders written as data to a data DVD. One difference might be that when you write the folders as discrete data files, there may be some sort of buffer underrun when the writer is finishing one file and starting another, whereas writing an ISO image can perhaps be done in one long continuous job. - try using one of the tools on this page to put your folders into an ISO, then try burning that.

If it’s the former… I’ve also had problems with specific media; my domestic DVD player doesn’t like some brands and despite buying media that says it can be burned at 16x, I typically avoid burning at more than half the rated value, as I find this results in far fewer coasters. Try a different brand of media and/or try burning at the lowest speed your drive supports.

Not necessarily. I have a DVD-RW that I keep around for moving files to and from work, and each time I write to it, it adds the changes and updates as a new track on the disc (while hiding all the old versions so the filesystem doesn’t get confused. I think). Anyway, each time I add to it I see it write a ‘leadin’ after the previous track’s ‘leadout’.

Does it explicitly say it’s closing the disc anywhere? This is a checkbox option when burning a disc on my home system, named something like ‘prioritize compatibility and close disc after recording (no more data can be written to the disc)’.

Minor point…

A ISO disc image is a single huge file that contains a bit-for-bit copy of the DVD disc. If you have a VIDEO_TS folder containing .ifo, .bup, and .vob files, that’s not a disc image.

A disc image is burned in one long continuous burning session, as Mangetout mentioned, and then the disc can be closed. If you are burning individual folders and files, you can leave the disc ‘open’ and add others later.

Are they DVD-Rs, or DVD**+**Rs? There’s a big difference with regards to compatibility.

VideoHelp said that the OP’s disc player should be able to play both…

The short story is that your DVD player is not a computer.

Any sort of “data” disk probably won’t play in it no matter what you do. There is a reason that Nero has separate write functions for DVD Movies and DVD data.

As for your software DVD player being able to play the files, this is simply one of the differences between a software player and a hardware player. The hardware players aren’t that smart. I live in the US and while my software DVD player doesn’t think twice about playing PAL disks, that doesn’t mean they will work in my hardware player.

Just select for DVD-video when using Nero and be done with it.

It sounds like what you are doing is burning the image file onto the disk but telling Nero to burn it as it would any other data file. So if your image file is called MyWallyWorldVacation.iso and you burn it the way I think you’re doing it, then when you look in the root directory of the finished disc you see a single file called MyWallyWorldVacation.iso. But this won’t work in a stand alone player. Your buddy who gave you the file converted his vacation footage from .avi to .mpeg, and then he converted the .mpeg into DVD compatible .bup, .ifo, and .vob files using a DVD authoring program. He then burned it to DVD, and then made an image file from that disc. I haven’t done this in a long, long time, but if I remember correctly the way to do it is to use the Burn Image function from the file drop down menu.

Well, I read your OP again a little more closely. You seem to indicate that you already have DVD compatible .bup, .vob, and .ifo files. You seem to have the .ifo files at any rate. This threw me off, because these aren’t really image files. An image file is a single file which is an exact image of the entire contents of a disc. They usually have an .iso extension. If you already have DVD compatible files, then using the Burn DVD-Video function straight from the Nero wizard should work fine. One point though, and the sucky Nero documentation doesn’t correctly explain this. The files must be burned to the root directory of the disc. After you’ve gone through the wizard steps, you will see two directories in the right hand panel of the left hand window: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Double click the VIDEO_TS folder and both will disappear and appear under the NEW directory in the left hand panel of the left hand window. The right hand panel will now be blank. Now drag and drop all of the files from the right hand panel of the right hand window into that panel and burn it.