Why would anyone bother to vote for President in "guaranteed" states?

Or more to the point, why would anyone vote for an underdog in a state that is certain to be lopsided? There was never any doubt which way Illinois, California or Alaska would go. So, why bother?

1. If nobody voted, the result wouldn’t be guaranteed.

2. If you show up to vote for down-ballot races, it really isn’t a lot of extra work to fill in the presidential oval.

3. Margin matters. Politicians behave differently after a 51-49 win then after a 62-38 win. It affects governing strategy, and strategy in the next election. If you want the underdog party to put serious time and effort into your state next time, the only way to get there is to make this election as close as possible.

(1) Because you believe that voting is a good thing.

(2) Because you want to vote in other elections.

(3) Because you want to be able to say, “I voted for X.”

Because tf enough people didn’t bother, then the state would no longer be lopsided. Sometimes people vote their conscience, regardless of who the victor is going to be.

In baseball, why do people continue to cheer for the home team when they’re up 9-0? There’s never any doubt which way the game is going to go.

Because they’re drunk? :smiley:

Well, in California in particular, you have some cognitive dissonance on display where Obama won nearly 2 to 1, but Prop 8 which bans gay marriage won, by a not-so razor thin margin.

Because my datum goes into the giant pool with others’ data and demonstrates the complexity of voter responses.

By the way, there were several assured races in my state that are still too close to call. One is only a few hundred votes apart.

Because places like Indiana are never going to vote for a Democrat… and look what happened.

Because the incumbent winning by more makes the out of power party stay away even more.

I don’t think all the votes on 8 are in yet, so it may well be a razor-thin margin.

Because there are local elections also.

What a great list of responses! If this election didn’t do anything else - and it did - it reenergized the notion that in a democracy, particularly a big, complex and messy one like ourse, even the smallest shmoe can feel like he’s someone, by going to the polls and casting a vote.

Well, I live in Illinois, and I voted for President. Voted for no less an underdog than Bob Barr. If for nothing else, that vote was to help the Libertarian Party vis-a-vis ballot access. In that regard, a third party vote in an assured state could be considered even more powerful than a vote for either of the two major party candidates.

I voted in Illinois because I’m an American, and I can.

I wanted the “I voted” sticker.

and it’s your civic duty, and people voting is what makes it a guaranteed state.

Free coffee.

Because if you didn’t vote then I won’t listen to any of your bitching about the results.

(And I voted, so you have to listen to mine. :slight_smile: )

The franchise is like everything else - if you don’t exercise it, it will wither away. People fought and died so you could vote.

I voted because Illinois had a Constitutional Convention to consider, and I felt strongly about that. I also voted, as **Giles **says, so that I can honestly tell my grandchildren I voted for President Obama (I get little goosebumps just typing that!) and to vote Green Party for every other little thing they were running for, in hopes of increasing their presence in future elections. That was my compromise between voting outside the two-party system and still supporting Obama. I recognize it was largely symbolic, but it made me feel better.

When I was in high school, I helped in a city council race. My candidate lost by ONE vote. Even in the recount, he lost by ONE vote.

Every Vote Counts.

In addition to all the good reasons I suspect that some people just don’t think it through. Our voting system has different quirks, but based on comments from some people it seems that their understanding of the voting system and the implications of their own choice is surprisingly vague. I’m not talking about people who are too stupid or uneducated to understand it. They are just not interested in figuring out how it works under the hood.