Why would they ever hold the SuperBowl in an outdoor statium?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01/28/big-game-may-not-be-such-a-hot-ticket-18000-super-bowl-seats-still-available/
18,000 unsold seats.

Wrong about XXIX. XXIX was played in Miami, not Jacksonville. The stadium was almost ten years old then, too.

You’re in the minority.

Television companies and most viewers like the “clean appearance” of games played indoors on turf.

Sorry, left out an X. XXXIX was played in Jacksonville.

As I said, Florida (at least Miami and Tampa) and California aren’t really subject to the “you only get a game if you build a stadium” rule.

And the link they provide to back that up goes nowhere. Likely, that’s 18,000 tickets in the hands of ticket brokers, who have purchased their tickets from the NFL. The NFL has said that tickets are sold out:

It’ll be interesting to see who gets the 2018 game. I think New Orleans is out, especially after the blackout last year. Indianapolis impressed the committee in 2012, but Minneapolis’ new stadium is nearly a trump card. It’ll come down to how much Irsay greases the pot.

That’s a very poorly written article. They mean for sale in places like stub hub.

outdoors because

fans show their allegiance to the team, especially those shirtless and painted, which motivates the team.

players have balls.

Moved to the Game Room.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

If they wanted to have it in new stadiums, the Patriots got robbed when Gillette opened in '01. Not that Foxborough is exactly a Superbowl-ready town.

That’s probably why. Hosting cities have to meet a minimum number of hotel rooms. But here’s an interesting article on the possibility, that would require Boston and Providence, RI to combine resources.

70% of the stadium is filled with corporate sponsors and their guests. So…no.

I see the “home” team has never made it to a Super Bowl.

There’s no problem with the game, itself, being played in cold weather. The problem lies with the event of Super Bowl Week or Weekend being held in a cold weather city.

NYC is a great place to visit, but not in the winter. And there’s always a 50-1 shot that a blizzard shuts down everything. It’s the same problem if they hold in a domed stadium in a cold weather city.

I can remember being dragged to a Buffalo Bills game by a boyfriend and sitting in the snow flurries. Never again. I told him he could force me to watch it on TV but I would never go to a live game ever again.

Yes but a number of SBs have been in stadiums the don’t host a NFL team although it’s been a while. There have been a couple where one of the teams was from the same general area as the stadium.

One of my favorite football memories is going to college game in a heavy snow, and having to brush snow off my hot dog between bites as we tried to figure out where the yard markers were, watching the players slide around on the snow-covered field.

The only non-NFL stadiums to host Super Bowls were the Rose Bowl (x2), LA Coliseum (x2) and Rice Stadium, and there hasn’t been one since 1993.

The LA Coliseum was the Rams home field at the time of those SuperBowls, so scratch that one off the list
But you can add Stanford Stadium, who hosted once in the 1980s.

Oooh. Good correction, I forgot the Rams. There were also more than two Super Bowls played at the Rose Bowl so I don’t know why I put (x2) there.

I must be in the minority, too. The game earlier where the snow and wind were so heavy that no field goals or extra points were scored? One of the most fun to watch this season.

True, and all places it is unlikely to freeze even in January (February now, I guess), much less snow. Recent icy conditions in Houston, notwithstanding, of course.

<slight hijack>And interesting tidbits for Rice or trivia fans: Rice Stadium untarped is the largest football stadium by seating capacity in the city of Houston. They don’t build 'em like that anymore. Superbowl VIII was the first Superbowl not played at an NFL stadium. Weather was 50 degrees and overcast at kickoff, which is a fairly typical Houston afternoon in January. </hijack>

I like watching games in ice and wind. I still remember that 59-0 beatdown the Patriots laid on the Titans in '09 during a blizzard. Brady and Belichick didn’t care one whit about the conventional wisdom of running the ball in bad weather and came up with 6 TD passes. Not a fan of either team, but that was still fun to watch. It must suck for the fans paying hundreds of bucks for Superbowl seats though.