[QUOTE=Dangerosa]
Chico’s, Coldwater Creek…Casual Corner went out of business (to my dismay). Sometimes Christopher Banks (though they can get a little schoolteacherish).
[/QUOTE]
While I’m fully aware we are at certainly different stations in life, I suppose this furthers my point. While I understand that clothes from places like Chico’s are perfectly appropriate for work (and they do have tons of work appropriate outfits), the clothes are also designed for, cut for, and styled for people at least 10 years older than me. In fact, my quite stylish 63 year old grandmother (and I mean that sincerely, she’s quite stylish and always dressed on point) absolutely LOVES Chico’s.
Plus, Chico’s and the like are incredibly expensive. Sometimes I’ll pop in, thinking I can maybe find a nice shirt or something, but $80 for a button up? Eesh. No 21 year olds I know can afford that.
[QUOTE=Flutterby]
That’s why I try and shop at places like La Cache. I find some of the cutest shirts there that aren’t total slutwear. I also have a sizable collection of cami’s in various colours because so many shirts are cut just too damn low. That way I can co-ordinate them and still look presentable.
[/quote]
I wonder if we’re thinking of the same store? This one? They do have tons of adorable things (and as an aside, some of the prettiest evening dresses around). That said, we again fall into the “too expensive for most 20-somethings” trap.
Not that being poor is an excuse. I mean, if I find something that’s good for work on a clearance rack, I pick it up without thinking. The fact is though that most cheaper clothing that is cut for or marketed towards younger females tends to be on the sluttacious side. I suppose my main point is that it is a bit harder for us to dress appropriately and still feel comfortable and attractive in our clothing.
And Kalhoun- Ann Taylor actually has tons of cute stuff- plus! They have an outlet in each of the two outlet malls I regularly shop in. Score!
I suppose you can never go wrong in black slacks and a button up top, but that gets so boring sometimes. I like bright colors, I like cute (but flattering and appropriate) cuts, and I love, love, love shoes. So, I try to work with what I’ve got while maintaining some level of appropriateness. It ain’t easy though, let me tell ya.