Will $15 buy absolute truths

Hi board,

My name is Dan, I’m 45 and live in Virginia.
Yesterday I googled a mundane question that popped in my head, this board provided an answer, next thing you know I signed up for the free month.

So, who are you people? why are you fighting ignorance? and is it worth the 15 bucks to read your opinions?

Hi Dan.

My name is Neurotik. In a little bit your thread will likely get moved since it’s in the wrong forum, FYI. Not a big deal, it happens - even to the veteran members.

There’s no right answer regarding the nature of the board that can be summed up in a simple post. I recommend you just post around during your free month and see if you like the conversations that crop up and the personalities that populate the board. If you feel like it’s worth it at the end of the month, sign up. If you don’t, then, um, don’t. :slight_smile:

You don’t have to pay $15.00 to read our collective wisdom, only to search and to post after your one-month trial.

Why do we fight ignorance? For the same reason Batman fights crime. An ignorant person once gunned down our parents in cold blood, and now we fight ignorance from our high-tech secret lairs.

Is it worth it? Yes.

Oops, misleading title.
I had intended to ask if anyone here knew any ‘absolute truths’, became frustrated with my wording, and posted my generic questions above as is.

Personally I have embraced my own ignorance. I am skeptical of what passes for knowledge. Information passed between humans is generally skewed by ones own perspective. Words can be ambiguous.
But are there any ‘absolute truths’ that can be agreed upon as the truth by all?

Absolute truths? I really doubt it. Think you are going to have search long and hard, probably into the dark depths of the internet, or maybe even a book or something to find one of them. Is it worth $15? Well judging by the fact that we all have “member” under our name we are probably going to say yes.

Keep your money! you can read out opinions for nothing, even after your guest membership expires.

On the other hand, if you join up, you can keep posting and you can search past threads.

I think most people here would be of the opinion that absolute truths are difficult or impossible to know, if they exist at all. But of course that might not be a true statement. Absolutely.

x = x

x & ~x = 0

x ^ ~x = 1

I accept PayPal. :slight_smile:

Here’s an absolute truth for you:

Something is absolutely true.

Its falsification falsifies itself. So it’s gotta be true.

Daniel

Click here: http://www.spiderrobinson.com/music.htm Scroll to the bottom and click on either link for “Belaboring the Obvious.”

$15 buys you absolute truth. If you want it to be convincing, that’s $25. Peace of mind is $20 extra, sailor. :wink:

I’m Dave, I’m 83 and live in California.

Why not?

Up to you.

Given the above, I figured you might like this quote:

C’mon. Join. All the cool kids are doin’ it. And $15 per year is a helluva cheap fix. :smiley:

I thought Peace of mind was Priceless, Queue Mastercard commercial music.

Jim

Hmmm. I thought there was going to be a punch line – you know, like a picture of Plato holding a bottle of vodka – “Absolut Truth.”

Please tell me I’m not the only one who remembers…

It’s important to note that I don’t think I’m fighting your ignorance, I’m fighting mine. Why? Because it’s cool to be a smarty pants.

dandr, we fight ignorance here so we won’t have to fight it at home! Or at least to be able to say we fought it here, so don’t expect me to fight it at home, or at the office or whatever.

Just be aware, ignorance tends to fight back!

QtM,
Bloodied but unbowed

I don’t know. . .

Hi dandrews,

I’m a guest, too, contemplating the same investment. I, personally, don’t feel as well-read or well-thought as these folks, so I’m usually rather intimidated to jump into the debates, but I feel like someday, after reading and learning a bunch, I’ll want to be a smarty-pants, too.

Do it. DO it.

Anne

The Board is Googlable now?
When’d that happen?

The sad thing is, I’ve been here nearly 3 years and my pants are no smarter than they were, just crankier.

I have learned things here I wouldn’t have learned elsewhere. I’m less ignorant, but there is such a long way to go and a short time to get there.

I asked google ’ brain percentage used’,
Some reply attributed to thid board showed up in the top three

Was it a secret?