Will $15 buy absolute truths

I duplicated his Google and it led to: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_028.html

I see, it was a Straight Dope article rather than the Board. This is how I stumbled onto the SDMB. I was answering questions for my Daughter.

Be welcomed and make yourself at home. Please wipe your feet first.

Jim

As of this moment, my friend, you are wrong. This thread IS in the right forum.

Andrew, 30. I’m fighting ignorance (mostly my own) because it’s something to do at work while I’m waiting for something to do. You should think of the $15 as a contribution, not a purchase. The Straight Dope (and sites like it) is the true benefit of the internet. Instant diverse, educated, opinions on any subject: how can you beat that? I’d rather give $15 to the Straight Dope than NPR. I get better news and entertainment here.

[Moderator Hat ON]

I think this will do better in IMHO.

[Moderator Hat OFF]

Sometimes I feel like I’m bailing out my own Titanic with a tea cup.

You post something. Then along comes another poster with the same post phrased much more elegantly, with better cites and justification, plus a lot of other things you haven’t even thought of. :smack:

Because, dammit, we’re prepared!

I dunno about absolute truths, but there are lots worse ways to spend $15. And we’re a fun bunch. Mostly.

Heck, the entertainment value alone is more than $15!!

Short answer: Yes.
Even shorter answer: No. :smiley:

Can “absolute truths” be bought at any price? And why use a plural? By definition, if something is the absolute truth, there can be only one.

Just enter political threads with care. They’re contentious.

And Pit threads with extra care. They’re gladiatorial.

Hey - don’t let that stop you. If those were the prerequisites to joining this board, half of us wouldn’t be here!

OK - some of us wouldn’t be here.

OK - just me. I wouldn’t be here. But hey - that shouldn’t stop you any!

You’ve got a cup? I’ve got a tea ball, and I was lucky to get it!

There is no finer way to spend $15. beams

Well, okay, you could invest it in the stock market and make it $15 million instead, but why waste it when you could be here?

Oh, you already know who we are. We’re the obnoxious geeks who correct your grammar and say things like “actually, in the Chinese calendar, this is the year 4702” and know that the original astronaut who didn’t fly in the Mercury program was Deke Slayton.

And why should you pay $15 for this? Two reasons:

a) It gives you a place to show off all the useless stuff you know without having all your friends walk away from you and

b) When all the rest of us get on your nerves, you can always get away from the Board without offending anyone.

There is no such thing as Absolute Truth.
Only…Knowledge.

You have just learned something.

It’s a freebie, kid.

1. Fine, @ $15, its a steal
  2. Math doesn’t count
  3. I am fairly certain there is an absolute truth, most probably whatever God is
  4. Knowledge is a double edged sword
  5. Nice to meet you guys

Now, there you have the kernel of a Great Debates thread. :wink:

Why? Do they cut each other’s heads off when they meet?

I want the Absolute Truth with the Scottish accent!

Just some chick with a computer. Because I’m bored. Not mine, but definitely some people’s.

Howdy

In the words of Newsradio "A well meaning, but wholly inept group of bumblers.

Well, there really wasn’t anything good on television.

To read 'em? Heck no, but you’ll be able to post your own opinions and force dopers to read them. You’ll also help the admins keep their mansions on Martha’s Vineyard.

Mine aren’t opinions. Like many of us here, I get my information straight from the universal mind and likewise feed back into it. Why does the information differ between people you ask? That is the way that the universal mind works. The “strings” like myself oscillate in a way that feeds into the other strings until the strings are harmonized as one. Much of what you see on these boards is just the strings trying to synchronize so that we can feed back into the UM.

Few people get to witness this process first hand and I personally think it be a bargain at any price.

You interests and values may vary.

I have to go. I hear a hum.