Will $15 buy absolute truths

Northern or Southern? It makes a difference.

There is only one sentence that will always remain true, untill the end of the universe.

“This too, will change.”

Good enough for you?

Is there absolute truth? Yes. (Absolutely ;))

Can you identify it with anything approaching absolute certainty? No.

It goes for hamster food, to feed the hamsters who run on treadmills to power the board’s server. It’s a worthy cause.

Welcome, dandrews02 and annewaldron.

We are a mixed bag of folks. There’s always someone with more knowledge about a particular subject that I can learn from. And there’s usually someone in need of a little insight or information. That feels comfortable to me.

It helps if you have a sense of humor, a logical mind, a coherent writing style, and the courage to admit mistakes. Certain “allowances” are made for people who live near our nation’s capital and that may explain the Honorable samclem’s question about northern or southern Virginia.

I fight ignorance because I am addicted to the adrenaline rush.

Welcome new friend,

Firstly let me just say, I think you’ll fit in just fine around here.

Next I’d like to tell you my view on ‘absolute truth’.

In my mind, seeking absolute truth is like seeking true love. Misguided at best.

No one ever found true love by seeking it.
You find true love by seeking to be worthy of true love.

Aaah, grasshopper you begin to see the light. Soon you will be ready to leave the temple…
Glad you’re with us, don’t be shy now.

I think ‘absolute truth’ is something for mathematicians to ponder* and theologians to fight over. Whatever it is, if it exists or not, I can’t imagine it having any impact on my life.

Math certainly does count, and not just in a punny way. It has been unreasonably effective thus far and it shows no sign of losing its ability to make stunningly good predictions of actual observed events.

Beyond the ability to predict real events, however, I find limited use for the more abstract notions beyond recreation. I’m not religious for that reason.

But that isn’t the reason you started this thread. You’re looking for advice on paying the membership fee. I obviously think it’s worth it: I learn things here that I never knew I didn’t know, I read some of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, and I find a community among people I’ve never met face-to-face. I could get some of those things for free by just reading without paying to post, but it would be damned poor substitute for what I have now.

I hate an unmatched Nathan Hale.*

**I regret I only have one ass to risk for my country.

It is an absolute truth that there is no such thing as absolute truth.

SOUTHERN
williamsburg, to be precise
GPS coordinates available on request

Difficult? Sometimes, but not always.

Impossible? Absolutely not.

Is that absolutely true?

BTW, while mathematicians may ponder absolute truth, this subject matter is by no means limited to mathematics. As others have already alluded to, even the statement “There is no absolute truth” purports to convey some absolute truth.

What about the statement that there is only one sentence that will always remain true? Will the veracity of that statement change as well?

So by “fighting ignorance” we mean, of course, decapitating with a sword all of the other absolute truths.

Hats (only) off to Kat who beat me to it while I was too lazy to read all posts first.

Do you go to William & Mary or are you trapped – ahem I mean, do you live – in the Burg of your own volition? I know we have a few alumni here if its the former. Myself, and… damnit, I know there are a few others.

When I’m feeling smart or snarky, this is where I go to get outsmarted and outsnarked. It keeps me humble, worth $15 in my book.