Will 50 Shades of Gray make BDSM more mainstream?

I think it would be funny if after seeing it this Saturday, all these hausfraus start buying whips and ball gags n stuff. I wonder if it will get people to start experimenting in ways they previously were too inhibited to try.

On the flip side, I heard the BDSM crowd really dislikes the novels, as it goes against many of their principles regarding safety and consent, and the association could give the whole BDSM subculture a black eye, so to speak.

I think it’s already becoming mainstream… Target has some branded merchandise.

Yeah I also saw a “Mr. Gray” Vermont Teddy Bear as well.

I think it will make BDSM tackier, that’s for sure.

I will admit I have not read the book, but from reading the Wikipedia article and plot summaries, yeah they got it wrong. So wrong.

(Why am I thinking of glittery vampires?)

Perhaps you already knew (hell, I know), but Fifty Shades started as Twilight fanfic.

I . . . I did not.

That doesn’t really help my opinion of it.

Dang it. What’s the next part of my introverted life to become massively popular? Next year the Oscars are swept by SDMB: The Movie?

Since I had no desire (ahem) to read the book I’m semi-interested in seeing if the lack of anything substantial in a book makes for a good movie. I am sure I’d wait until it was available for home viewing since I imagine my reaction will be to laugh.

I can’t wait to read the angry tumblrs of people genuinely into BDSM complaining that their favorite dungeons are getting clogged with casuals.

You’re better off watching it at home. If you see it in theaters you won’t be able to hear much over the buzzing of all the vibrators.

If you haven’t read it, Dave Barry can fill you in.

I’m more worried about all the women that are going to get hairstyles like Dakota Johnson’s. Bleccccch. Oh, and all the babies that will be named Anastasia this year.

I’m pretty sure the movie is going to bomb.

So the real question is, HAS the book already made it more mainstream?

I started reading the book because I wanted to see why it was getting so much hoopla. I lasted a half-hour. I’m absolutely disgusted that it’s gotten so popular. It’s about abuse and degradation, not BDSM, and the writing! My gosh! Was the author fifteen years old?? Has she ever had a real relationship?

I’m so disappointed in how gullible (young) women are, and how willing so many are willing to take advantage of them to make a buck.

Is the audience all that young? I was under the impression that the majority of 50 Shades readers are middle-aged housewives.

Not that I don’t believe you, but do you have a cite for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey#Background

" The Fifty Shades trilogy was developed from a Twilight fan fiction series originally titled Master of the Universe and published episodically on fan-fiction websites under the pen name “Snowqueen’s Icedragon”. The piece featured characters named after Stephenie Meyer’s characters in Twilight, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan. After comments concerning the sexual nature of the material, James removed the story from the fan-fiction websites and published it on her own website, FiftyShades.com. Later she rewrote Master of the Universe as an original piece, with the principal characters renamed Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and removed it from her website before publication."

If people find funny reviews of the movie, could you post the link in this thread?

This was the only contingent that bought copies in my bookshop. Younger women read it too but typically downloaded the ebook.

Check out the review that Reality Chuck linked to upthread. It is hilarious.

This book has even ruined my love for the composer Thomas Tallis.

I go to YouTube or Pandora to listen to one of his works and the next one it starts to play will be from fucking 50 Shades!!!