Will cell phone data rates ever go down?

I have a data plan here in Canada. It’s legacy from my blackberry, even though I have a Samsung galaxy now. Talk and text, plus 500 megabytes. I didn’t crack 150 a month before I got this 4G behemoth, but now I’m up against the line every month. The wifi helps.

I’m jealous of the American data plans. Especially those unlimited ones they don’t sell anymore. I was hoping by now, Canada and the US would be so saturated with Cell phone providers that plans would be dirt cheap by now!

Huh. I use Virgin Mobile and I pay $35 a month for unlimited calls, texts, and data. Well, I guess they introduced a limit for data a while back, but I’ve never come close. Granted, it’s not as fast as my mates’ iPhones or whatnot, and I typically get super slow internet speeds when I’m indoors – seemingly anywhere indoors, which is kind of odd – but outside I get pretty decent internet speeds. I’ve good credit and all, I just am unconvinced that the higher speeds and better coverage are worth paying at least twice as much for a contract phone with one of the big companies.

UK here. £33 a month for more minutes and texts than I could ever need, and unlimited data.

When you guys say you pay 30 bucks a month for unlimited calls and stuff, is that 30 bucks flat? You don’t have to pay anything on top of that?

My Virgin plan is $35 a month, in total I pay $37.20 after Maryland taxes. I get 300 minutes, unlimited texts and whatever the data plan is. I did have to pay $300 for the phone but so what. Mine used to be $25, total $26.10, but when I got a new phone I had to change plans. I can deal with the limitations it has for that price. I’d rather not be paying $60-70 or more a month for basically the same thing.

My Tmobile plan is $30 a month, which comes to $31.80 after sales tax. Although, if you buy refills at callingmart.com, you can get a tiny discount and avoid the taxes, so the total actually comes to a bit less than $30.

This particular plan is geared towards people who don’t use a lot of voice minutes, but do use a lot of data. It includes 100 minutes of voice per month, with a quite reasonable 10 cents a minute rate if you go over the 100 minute threshold. The data is 4g and “unlimited” - meaning that you get full 4g speed up to 5gigs (quite a lot) and if you go over 5gigs there are no additional fees, but they just throttle your top speeds down.

With the 4g data, I consistently get faster speeds than my friends who have AT&T and Verizon service. As for my friends with Sprint, Virgin, and MetroPCS, my data speed and signal reliability is consistently better, by far. The only time I’ve been somewhere where someone else (with AT&T) had a better data signal, was when we were in the middle of nowhere. But I still had a good voice signal.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the plan includes unlimited texts, as well.

Only if I go over my texts or minutes, which never happens because I have more than I would ever need.