Will hospitals do federal background checks?

I’ve applied for an general-ed adjunct teaching job in a private religious college associated with a hospital. On the application, they ask the standard “have you ever been convicted of a felony?” along with the standard “we’re gonna check anyway.”

As a convicted felon, I have learned two things:

1. No one wants to hear about how many years ago it was, how it was nonviolent, how it was a bad time in your life, how it’s the only trouble you’ve ever been in. It’s the kiss of death for most employers, at least in my field.

2. Despite what they say, they don’t usually check, or at least not for out-of-state convictions.

As you might imagine, I have often adjusted my behavior accordingly. However, this is the first time I’ve ever dealt with hospital, and that is causing me to reexamine #2 above. Do hospitals do full fed checks on support staff?

Educated guesses welcome, moralizing ignored.

In looking around it appears a federal background check would cost around
$ 25.00 on the net. Are they going to do one? Who knows…but if they don’t do one pre-hire, I would WAG that ding one post hire (esp if you are a perfect employee) is unlikely. It’s likely top be a crap shoot. Decide where your comfort level is.

What do you have to gain or lose (overall) if they find out?