Will McCain's running mate be much more important than usual?

What about that other actor from Predator, Jesse Ventura?

Do you think even Obama is going to be able to do all that? I would say that Clinton and McCain are fairly close on most of those issues…including the troops in Iraq (something Obama is unlikely to do much about either if he is elected).

-XT

Double post

-XT

Anyone ineligble for the presidency is ineligble for the vice presidency.

But, they are “solidly conservative” in very different ways: Romney is an economic conservative with an iffy record on social issues; Huckabee is a social-religious conservative and an economic populist. McCain’s choice between them would be very telling.

That’s true in terms of political viability, but where does the Constitution say it?

(I have a friend who is convinced Schwarzenegger is the Pubs’ Great White Hope and that he will almost certainly be their VP candidate this year; I can’t seem to impress on him the difficulty of amending the Constitution.)

Belay that: I’ve just read his entry on Wikipedia.

:slight_smile: Yeah. I’m not big fan of The Body.

I REALLY like Arnie though. I would love to see some cites to backup the assertions that he couldn’t be VP. I’ve always understood that there was no legal (or constitutional) bar…just a political one.

-XT

From the 12th amendment.

Thank you for the cite. I didn’t know that.

-XT

For the sake of discussion, McCain wins the election.

After the election but before inauguration, he dies from the excitement. Who becomes President?

We have exceeded my knowledge of the Constitution. :slight_smile:

Cecil covered this once, some time ago:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_133.html

Action on global climate change (he proposed cap and trade as early as 2003, HRC has done nothing but come up with detailed proposals just in time for the election cycle). Healthcare reform (he’d sign a Congress passed plan.) No torture (I am more sure of him on this than her.) Ethics reform (I am also more sure of him on this than her.) A break from the forever partisan election cycle (he does more cross-partisan working together than she does and would likely run an administration as if he was a one-termer.) She’s as much a hawk as he is to my read, I not only do not believe that she’ll get the troops home quickly but I think that she’d be even quicker on the trigger with Iran. I’d be apprehensive about Supreme noms but a Dem Congress wouldn’t let any of them be too bad. And that balances off with my being worried that her election would provoke a wave of Pubbie Congressional victories to offset her.

All that said I’d might still vote for her … but he could win me, especially if she gets there in a slimy way … unless he chooses Huckabee.

I’m with you all the way except for this part: “but a Dem Congress wouldn’t let any of them be too bad”. I don’t have any confidence that a Democratic Congress would have the balls to fight even a really bad nominee.

He loses me on keeping the tax cuts and continuing the war. I am disappointed that she wants to keep some troops there for whatever reason, but I don’t think she would get us into another war. She would get health care for those above kids in the delta, too. :slight_smile:

Let’s see…an ex-Navy SEAL whose hobbies include fucking Philippine prostitutes and kicking peoples’ asses. He supports marijuana, gay rights and light-rail transit. And he’s quoted as saying, “Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people’s business.”

They should just scrap the office of the presidency and make this guy the fucking KING. What’s not to like about him?

No more so than usual. Presidential candidates have always picked VPs to (1) help them get elected, and (2) be able to serve in case anything happens to the President… usually in that order. McCain will almost certainly pick someone more conservative, or perceived so, in order to shore up his support among the Right. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see McCain pick Huckabee, maybe unless Huckabee really goes on the offensive between now and the convention. Huckabee’s reiterated that he’s in the race for good, even after Romney suspended his own campaign. But McCain and Romney mutually loathe each other, from all I’ve read, and I don’t see Romney adding much to the ticket in any event.

Then again, I could see McCain picking either a black or female running mate to drain support from either Obama or Clinton. Unlikely, but possible.

Surely not. That’s how we Democrats shot ourselves in the foot this time around. A Black guy or (or, God help us, and) a Woman that won’t draw votes to our side from theirs. :slight_smile:

James Dobson has officially endorsed Huckabee. It’s too little, too late for Huckabee (meaning that if I vote for Stephen Colbert I’ll have to write him in), but I wonder what this will mean in terms of religious right support for the presumptive McCain-Huckabee ticket.