Will Palin still trust God if they lose?

Bull-fucking-shit. At no point will Palin give voice to the idea that she was less than the perfect candidate.

-Joe

You are asking if there will be a logical response to an illogical belief. Not likely. If she wins it is god supporting her. If she loses it will be something else. Maybe McCain pissed off god.

That will happen the day after Bush admits he screwed up. I bet she’ll blame the McCain campaign managers for not letting her continue her successful set of interviews. I read that she broke free from her handlers the other day and started answering questions, much to the consternation of the McCain staff. I bet she’s convinced that most of the country is just as extreme as she is.

As for the OP’s question, people have kept faith in far worse circumstances, like when their family dies horribly. It’s a tic of the religious.

JOHN STEWART: Did Reverend Arnold Conrad just call God a pussy?!

Nate Silver says that the confidence interval on that survey is really bad due to the sample size.

Or as if their God was sending them a message to stop dragging Her name through the mud. :wink:

I’m not questioning her faith. She has said she’s a devout Christian and that God will make sure the right thing happens on Election Day. Therefore, I expect that if Barack Obama is elected, Sarah Palin will openly rejoice in his victory and give thanks to the Lord for her defeat. Sure, she might be a little disappointed at losing the election, but as a devout Christian and loyal American I’m sure she’ll be happy knowing that God’s plan for America is on track.

That was sarcasm, right?

Seriously, if your not voting Republican you’re voting against god.

Conservatives have gone too far. They will spend the next twenty years recovering.

If Mr Obama wins, Ms Palin will indeed accept Mr Obama’s presidency as part of God’s plan for America. That’s her belief system. It may be silly, but it really is as simple as that. It’s not the same as saying that everything that happens is the best possible outcome. Gotta wait for heaven for that.

It will not affect her faith. In her belief structure, all things, good and bad, happen as part of God’s plan. In this plan, ultimately all things work together for good to them that love God (Romans 8:28). I am sure she prayed for her children. Neither the pregnant one nor the one with Down’s are very ideal outcomes, but in Ms Palin’s belief system, both are part of God’s overall plan and neither has lessened her faith.

I don’t think you can take an isolated conversational sentence and pretend it’s a distillation of core belief, but even if someone Ms Palin genuinely considered evil (and I don’t think that applies to Mr Obama for her) were elected, she would still see it as an event that is part of God’s plan, and she would still see God as absolutely sovereign.

I think for in order for that to happen, we’re going to need to break out the wooden stakes, crosses, silver bullets, and machetes.

Of course Palin will still trust God. I’ve known a bunch of people like her, and here’s how it works: they give God credit for all the good things that happen, but never, ever, blame him for the bad stuff. (Wish I could get such a cushy gig!)

She’ll just have someone perform an excorcism on her campaign wardrobe, then move on.

Bobby Jindal might be able to do the exorcism for her.

I assure you, it was a serious question, though asked a bit tongue in cheek, and I appreciate all the input, both serious and silly.
I’ve no doubt her faith will not be seriously challenged by a loss, but I suppose my point was more along the lines of:

for her and those who believe as she does (including her audience for that interview) how will they rationalize an Obama win within their belief system and in light of the fact that they obviously believe McCain/Palin to be the “Godly” ticket.

The “America is being punished” angle is one I suspect many will adopt. Or, McCain is too secular/moderate in his views on certain key issues for God to “endorse” him, even with Palin bringing the ticket closer to “right with God”.

The one thing I don’t expect anyone of that mind-set to conclude (and where I was being a bit facetious in my question) is that Obama won because he is actually the candidate God prefers and considers “the right thing for America”, although her comments imply that logic.

I realize that logic as those outside of that belief system would term it doesn’t enter into this.

And that if McCain wins, they will have no problem declaring it proof that he is the annointed one and installed by God.

Those wacky fundamentalists…gotta love 'em:D

She did not imply that logic. You inferred that logic. If you can call it logic.

I don’t recall any declaration that Bush was the annointed one when he was elected. I certainly get that feeling though from some Obama supporters.

Gotta love those ****** who make up bullshit about other groups or people in order to have a laugh at them.

Bush says God chose him to lead his nation | World news | The Guardian Bush said he was chosen by god. He said it several times. Obama backers did not make it up.

I’m surprised by the oblivious theological heresy in Palin’s statement that God can determine an election. That’s a direct contradiction of free will. God logically cannot intervene in an election without abrogating the free will of the voters. Palin is a heretic.

As for how she’ll interpret the results – my take on her is that she’s a raging narcissist. I think she’ll interpret it as being part of a larger divine plan for her to run against the “Obamanation” in '12. If she ever gets asked publicly, I think she’ll make a vague, generic statement about “God having a plan,” but won’t say out loud that she thinks the plan is for her angelic self to defeat the Beast of Revelation.

There’s certainly enough fodder there for you to draw the inference that “Bush said he was chosen by God”, but I see nowhere where he actually said it.

Heh. Well said.

It’s pretty obvious that Focus on the Family and God have nothing to do with each other (excepting FoF’s consistent attempts to invoke God as a justification for their dementia.)

If the Repubs cling to Palinmania in an attempt to gain solace after they get crushed on Nov. 4, they will ensure their marginalization for a long time.

Most devout people I know believe that all prayers are answered, but sometimes the answer is “No”. They believe that things happen for a reason, and sometimes that reason is at least momentarily beyond thier understanding. It helps them get through the trials of life.
I believe that if Senator Obama is elected, Governor Palin will assume that God’s plan didn’t include her being Vice President at this time. Maybe she should try again later, maybe her best service will be rendered elsewhere. She’ll accept it, try to understand it, and move on.
No need to be assholes about it.