will Shanghai Cooperation Organization challeng USA and EU i near future?

The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is an intergovernmental organization which was founded on June 14, 2001 by leaders of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, the People’s Republic of China, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.

Among other nations of the wider region, Mongolia became the first country to receive observer status in the 2004 Tashkent Summit. Pakistan, India and Iran received observer status at the 2005 SCO summit in Astana of Kazakhstan on July 5, 2005. All four nations may soon become full members of the organization.

It’s expected that Iran, Pakistan and India will be full members this year
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Cooperation_Organization

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/HD18Ad02.html

Challenge in what way?

if this is heading to be a powerblock when it comes to economy, politics and possible military

It’s not already?

China and Russia together, forever, as bosom friends and allies.

I can see it now. A beautiful world…

No,

The countries mentioned have too many differences and mutual mistrusts/hatreds to co-operate anywhere near as closely as the European states nevermind the 50 US states. India and Pakistan are still contemplating nuking each other, Russia and China have a history of antagonism, Iran and Pakistan are sympathetic to Islamic seperatists within the borders of the other states, India and China still have a disputed border, etc. These things aren’t unsurmountable, but it’s not going to happen anytime soon. In any forseeble confrontation, It’d be too easy for the EU and the US to peel of a few disatisfied member countries with bribes/threats/etc.

It’s gonna take a long time before SCO becomes anything of global importance. SCO is interesting as essentially a body that links central asian states with their powerful neighbors. Maybe some of the petroleum deals happening are a result of SCO.

At the moment an extremely loose organization without a lot of trade or common political agenda to project beyond the org.

Minotaurus, posting an OP that consists entirely of a quote from Wikipedia is not usually considered the best way to open a debate.

the debate lies in the tagline

(what made it so important for you to point out this anyway?)

The convention in Great Debates is that the OP asserts a position and an argument in support of that position. Additional information, like a Wikipedia quote, might be provided to give context, but it should not be the entire post.

You did not assert a position. You just posed a question without making an argument for any answer.

I’m not trying to give you a hard time. I’m just telling you what most people expect in this forum.

ye yes yes - I understand

but do you have any opinions about the issue in the OP ?

Do you? You haven’t posted any in this thread yet, and you’re the OP.