Will Texas be “canceled”?

All my friends are freaked out over Texas and their abortion fiasco. The state is a stop on many bands’ touring schedules. I’m assuming some of them will skip over Texas. I’m assuming businesses planning meetings will find less controversial states to book their activities.

Has this begun happening yet?

Texas won’t be alone.

Florida state legislators say they already have a similar bill in works, and other states can’t be far behind.

I doubt it will have any impact. A bunch of Hollywood limousine liberals threatening to take their independent film productions out of state, or California bureaucrats being barred from attending conferences in Texas, probably helps Republicans more than it hurts. The fact is that the kind of companies and people that are likely to boycott Texas over this aren’t constituencies that Republicans give a fart about.

I would take an enormous boycott of the state to get Republicans to even consider changing course. This isn’t like the North Carolina “bathroom bill” boycott from a few years back. This is the most near and dear issue to millions of Republican primary voters. You would need multiple major employers threatening to pull out of the state for Republicans to risk their wrath.

Or maybe a full boycott by out-of-state college football teams. THAT would get Republican’s attention.

I was thinking more along the line of Amazon closing all of their distribution centers in Texas and refusing to accept any business that originates from a Texas ISP. THAT would get their attention!

A relative of mine lives in Texas. Near San Antonio maybe? Just a week or two ago she said that she’s seen housing prices go sky high. Herself, her neighbors, other people she’s talked to about it have all seen the value of their houses/property do something like double in the last year or two. Apparently Texas is attracting a lot of big tech players who are buying up property to set up shop and build houses for employees. Almost like it’s the next Silicon Valley. Unless Texas gets rid of whatever incentives are drawing businesses into the area, I doubt they’ll go elsewhere because of an abortion law. It’s not like these big businesses weren’t aware of which side of the political spectrum Texas was on when they made the decision to move there.

On the other hand, some big, left leaning business may be able to get some liberal politicians elected.

I doubt anybody is going to pack up and leave. I suspect we’ll see some companies, especially tech companies, announce that they’re canceling their plans to move to TX (a recent trend due to high cost-of-living in CA).

Keeping one eye on GA, which has been balancing its regressive white rural voters against business-friendly suburban voters who would really just like to go with the flow. In another age, Georgia’s film industry was touted by Republican lawmakers as a job-creating coup. In a surprise development, that industry isn’t hugely supportive of medieval regressive bullshit. It will be interesting to see whether they have enough juice to move the needle.

I hope Texas won’t be ‘canceled.’ Regardless of the issue, I wish the concept of Americans in some states boycotting other states had never been mooted. It’s an absurdly blunt instrument that ends up punishing mostly the wrong people. It also frays the bonds of what is supposed to be an indissoluble Union. There has to be a better way to fight state lawmakers’ misdeeds.

I suspect that any ‘canceling’ won’t go that far, or for too long. The Republican fascists are going to remind them soon enough that they will have the power by 2024, and that they will be punished if they protest too much.

Texas’s controversial new abortion law could have a chilling effect on the film industry there, as some Hollywood heavyweights — including Patricia Arquette — call for a boycott of the state.

Oh no!! Not Patricia Arquette! If they are bringing the heavy hitters out this early, Texas is well, toast.
(Pun intended)

It will be interesting to see what happens to out of state college applications this year. UT and Rice are both very attractive to kids from all over, but this makes it real easy to cross them off your list. Why go to school in a state where your whole life can go off the rails? When you expose your parents to a lawsuit if you do get an abortion? Where you expose yourself to a lawsuit if your girlfriend gets one?

Ding ding ding!

Add to this a set of boycotts that would affect high-school football: perhaps manufacturers of uniforms, helmets, stadium lighting, and other necessities could refuse to sell to Texas buyers.

That would grab the attention of the state’s voters like nothing else could.

I can hope for a lot of canceled industry conventions, which are big business there (if those are still taking place nowadays).

The tragedy of any attempt to boycott Texas, whether it be by tech companies deciding not to locate here or individuals deciding that low taxes and Longhorn football aren’t worth living in a conservative dystopia, is that it means there will have fewer of the kind of people that we need in this state.

That’s not accidental. The Republican entrenchment project in Texas has many facets, but a big part of it is to make the state unappealing to liberal outsiders who have been moving to Texas in uncomfortable numbers. If that means the state misses out on cutting-edge industries and more highly educated workers, so be it. Republicans would rather shave a couple points of the state’s GDP than risk being voted out of office by legions of Californian expats. Republicans didn’t always use to think this way, but here we are.

I will be rerouting upcoming flights to avoid DFW.

I just wish there were an upcoming Superbowl in Texas that the NFL could move away like MLB moved the All Star Game from GA.

I’ve been canceling Texas for decades. Will now redouble my efforts.

Yep, I feel like this is the project here. As I said it will be interesting to watch developments in GA, which in my estimation is a red/purple state, yet much more interested in approval-seeking than TX.

GA cared when it lost the MLB all-star game, while TX has this stupid separatist streak that (I guess) is fueled by a belief that oil reserves can solve anything.

I wonder if, going forward, major sporting events will do some redundant planning, so as to facilitate moves to a bluer state if there’s some last-minute PR crisis caused by that state’s legislature.

Speaking of the expat of liberals to Texas: By coming to the state, but not actually flipping it blue, they actually boosted Texas’ population and increased its representation in the Electoral College, while still sending its total slate of electors for the red candidate. Possibly gifting the GOP an extra 1 or 2 electoral votes.