Will this double my bandwidth?

OK, so I have a laptop computer, and with it I have a wireless PCMCIA card. I normally don’t use it, but right now, I have it connecting to my school’s wireless network, and I am also connected to a landline connection. If I check my IP addresses, I have a seperate IP for each card. What does this mean? Am I just using one at a time? Am I using both somehow? Am I getting twice the bandwidth, or do they each just getg half of what they normally would?

You’ll only be using one at once. Run “cmd” and type “route print”. There should be a line with 0.0.0.0 for both addr and netmask. Whichever gateway/interface is listed for that line is the one your traffic is going through.

(Or, I guess, you could just surf some and see which connection light blinks.)

I would imagine you could pull data from either depending on your application and how it is configured. Check and see which card has the TCP/IP protocol bound to it.

While I can’t help directly, I do remember companies having out Shotgun 128K modems that used two 56K modems in tamdem with software to give you a boost over a standard 56K connection if you had two phone lines.

I don’t know what software or configuration was used back then for that system but maybe something similar could be used with other duplicate connections???

Each socket can only use one network interface at a time without special load-balancing software, but a program that uses more than one socket at once (like a web browser loading a bunch of images) could theoretically be written to balance the sockets between your two interfaces, using the bandwidth of both connections at once.

In practice, though, most programs just use the default interface, so having two network connections won’t make much difference.