Wimbledon 2010

This match reminds me of a ping pong game I had with my best friend in jr high. He had a bratty little brother who always wanted to play the winner. My buddy and conspired to keep the game going by never getting up by more than 1 point. I think we got the score up to 75-75 when the bratty brother went and did something else.

Well - in the first 4 sets, these 2 averaged 11 games per set. In the 5th set, they’ve now played 69 games, or the equivalent of 6 more sets. These two are now in the equivalent of the 11th SET!!!

37-36 Isner. This match started at noon, so they have been playing for 7-plus hours. More than one in five points has ended with an ace. That number was higher before, but they’re hitting fewer aces now. I’d love to know how many matches have ended since this one started. Isner will break the record with one more ace. Mahut has held serve to stay in the match for 32 games in a row, if I did my math right.

Elsewhere, Djokovic is pulling away from Taylor Dent. Federer lost the second set in a tiebreak but he’s up a break in the third at 4-2. It looks like Federer is playing well and could be running away with this if he was converting more break chances (same old story - he’s 3 out of 9), while Bozoljac is just going for broke on everything.

I thought the announcers said that the match started yesterday. if so wouldn’t it be incredible if they went to a third day? w/o a rain delay?

I wouldn’t give a flying farina for tennis normally, but this is incredible! 37-38 in the 5th! He who passes out first will lose. . .

Per wikipedia, “The 2010 Mahut-Isner match was suspended by darkness after the fourth set (2hrs 54mins played) and continued the following day.”

Yes. Which means the winner will play again tomorrow. Damn.

Yeah they came back on court at about 2pm to resume at the start of the fifth.

Are they on overtime, those two?

Deuce! In games.

Win by default or play an eight-hour marathon, you get the same amount of money. All that matters is how far in the tournament you go. The loser of this match will get about $27,700 (18,750 pounds). The winner will get more than $46,000 (31,250 pounds) assuming he loses his next match _ which should be played tomorrow. They’re now at 41-41.

The fifth set of this match has now lasted as long as the Federer-Nadal final in 2008, at 4 hours and 48 minutes. And they have played more games in this set than Roddick and Federer did in the final last year.

The wikipedia article on Longest tennis match records has been edited nearly 150 times today.

Also, this last set is now guaranteed to be longer than the previous record for longest post-tiebreaker match (Most games in a singles match after the introduction of the tiebreaker: In 2003 at the Australian Open, Andy Roddick took 83 games to defeat Younes El Aynaoui in the quarterfinals 4–6, 7–6(5), 4–6, 6–4, 21–19.)

I has to end…doesn’t it?

:slight_smile:

Well, in theory a tennis match can go on for ever… especially with these big servers. But after 99-99, the score will no longer fit on the scoreboard at which point I think they should both go through and play doubles in the next round. :slight_smile:

Is that a record? :smiley:

Oh shit. This is perfect: the winner of this match gets De Bakker. His match took four hours, but the first four sets were played yesterday. Today all he did was win a 30-game fifth set that took almost two hours to play.

How long until one of them passes out?

WTF!?!?!?!

Staggers the imagination, doesn’t it?