Windows 10 laptop--can you boot fr/DVD drive?

As a newbie to both Windows10 and laptop computers, I have a very basic question:

With a new Windows10 laptop computer with a DVD drive, can I assume I’ll be able to boot from a Linux LiveDVD?

The sales guy I spoke with didn’t know and wouldn’t let me try a LiveDVD on the display model [Lenovo IDEAPAD 110].

I want to be sure I can press the F12 key to change boot order like I’ve done on Win7 PCs–I’ve read about the UEFI replacing BIOS; don’t know what the situation is with Windows10–don’t want any unpleasant surprises or problems–

Thanks for info–

It’s F2 for Lenovo Idea machines, but there are other ways. This link covers all the options - the “Enter BIOS from Win 10” one saves you from furiously mashing function keys.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht104064

Sorry, meant to add - you’ll want to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS options, and then you should be good to go.

Thank you Baron Greenback–that’s what I needed. Seems a bit more complex than just pressing F12 on the Win7 desktop PCs I’ve used.

My laptop requirements while on the road will be very basic–using public WiFi to check email, read web content, some word processing–do you think the 1.6 gigahertz Celeron processor in the Lenovo IDEAPAD 110 will be adequate for that? Prefer to boot from Mint18 LiveDVD–

Perfectly fine.

I’m slightly intrigued why you prefer to boot from a live DVD, rather than just installing Mint, or dual-booting it with Win 10?

I’ve done a few installations thru the years and they’ve never gone smoothly, and right now I don’t have time to mess with it.

I’ve used a Mint LiveDVD on a Win7 desktop recently and once Mint boots up […slowly…] it’s clean, fast, secure, hassle-free.

But later when I have time, will look into dual-boot–

Thx again–

You have the answer, but for clarity:

it doesn’t matter what your hard drive operating system is. It only matters if the PC has a preboot option in the bios. And many newer PC’s, have selections that can be made in BIOS to prevent anyone from booting to anything OTHER than the installed hard drive. Some even provide the owner the ability to block changes to the bios settings, with a password.

Something else to watch for: Windows 10 requires many PC’s to have the bios set to UEFI boot. If your thumb drive or optical source isn’t compatible with UEFI boot, then even after you remove the Secure Boot block, you might find that the drive or disk you are using as your source, is invisible to the boot manager.

Check your SATA setting, if that’s a problem, and choose one of the alternates to whatever it is set to.

Great info–maybe I’ll finally flush microsoft forever–

…search for “why I hate Microsoft”

In the future, you may want to replace the DVD with a USB version instead. Or even using an SD card if your laptop has one and can boot from it. It’ll still be faster.

This is what I do on an old laptop that has hard drive problems. Well, except I use Puppy Linux, which has a built in ability to actually save what I’m doing periodically. (But not often enough to ruin the USB drive. Heck, it can even do it on a DVD if you have a DVD writer.)