0 voters

System Reqs:
Processor:|1 GHz or faster with 2 or more cores & 64-bit processor
RAM: 4+ GB
Storage: 64+ GB

System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM:|Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0|

Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver
Display: High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per color channel

As a matter of course, I’m happy to let other people beta-test products for me. Especially when it’s something as critical as an operating system.

In a year or so, I’ll take a look at it, with a quick look through a few tech fora here and there, and decide at that point.

The compatibility checker is coming soon.

The biggest new thing in 11 will apparently be Android App support.
There will be a bunch of appearance changes, those never excite me.

I’ve been chugging along on 2 “old” desktops and an old laptop (I think all of them are from around 2010). Windows 7 and 10 have been great for them. The only snags I have hit with OS upgrades have been with the wireless adapters and video cards and I’ve been able to make swaps to get everything working. The laptop might not be able to go on to Windows 11 but I bet the desktops make it. I’ll gladly upgrade to 11 on any machines that pass the compatibility tests.

What’s the argument for upgrading?

Weird. I saw a link to a compatibility checker the other day, downloaded and ran it.

I’m pretty sure I’ll never voluntarily upgrade my two existing laptops, which are running Windows 7 and Windows 10 as installed at the time of purchase. It was already a pain in the ass having to adjust to 10 when my old laptop running 7 died, and I couldn’t find any new ones still preinstalled with 7.

Now, if both of my current laptops are done and dusted and I’m forced to buy ones with 11, then ok, whatever, I’ll bite the bullet and deal with it then. But until that day happens, they’re gonna have to fight me to the death if they want me to upgrade early.

My computer specs are fine but I don’t see anything about Win11 that makes me want to change. And I say this as someone who happily went to Win10 so I’m not just digging in my heels. Eventually they’ll release Win11 only technical features for storage or memory or another DirectX that’ll force me into it but I’m not switching until that happens.

Edit: Not having to use Bluestack to run Android apps will be nice but Microsoft decided to link it to the trash fire of Amazon’s app store. You’ll be able to sideload other apps from Play Store, etc but now it already feels less like a real upgrade from running Bluestack with the extra dinking around involved.

Jeez, I just got a Windows 10 PC in April, when my 8.1 laptop that I had been nursing finally gave up the ghost. Maybe I should upgrade right away, since I don’t feel married to Windows 10 yet. On the other hand, inertia wins and I probably won’t upgrade until this machine breaks and I have to buy a new one.

If I had my preference, I’d still be on Windows XP.

Not much currently, running Android apps at this point on your PC/Laptop.

That one was apparently not very accurate and they’re fixing it.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. BTW, I checked and I believe mainstream support for Windows 10 doesn’t end for several years.

I might update my Surface if compatible just for the apps, but otherwise I’m not. Isn’t Windows like Star Trek movies, where every other one sucks?

End of lifeSupport for Windows 10 is October 14th, 2025.

To some degree, but Windows 10 changed the dynamic a bit.

So Win95 fairly good for the little it did.
Win98 crappy but Win98se (Second Edition) was very solid.
WinME crappy.
WinXP good, WinXP sp2 & sp3 excellent.
Win Vista, terrible and a bad joke.
Win 7, excellent
Win 8, crappy and a joke Win 8.1 much better but still not as good as 7.
Win 9: Never happened
Win 10: Excellent and very solid, worked on almost any PC that ran 7 or 8 and usually better than 8 or 8.1 did.
Win 11: Who knows, hopefully a good one.

I installed the latest build on my home desktop yesterday. It seems to be pretty clean so far. In fact, Windows Hello Face sign in which wasn’t working well under W10 seems to be working well.

Come to think of it, my laptop was a Win 7 Pro install and I had a lot of little weird issues with it, especially networking. I did a full clean Win 10 install on it (still free) and it fixed everything. I have one problematic Win 10 PC in the house and that will be my first upgrade if it qualifies. I think it will just qualify.

I don’t know if my computer is TPM2 compatible, but I meet all the other requirements. If I can’t use Windows 11, I’ll hold off on updating. I bought this computer last December and spent a lot on it. It’s supposed to last five years.

I’d like to, but my Surface Pro 4 apparently is too old to be upgraded (even though people will older Surface Pros are running the developer’s preview).

I resisted upgrading my desktop computer from Windows 7 until early last year, when I needed to upgrade in order to run a program for a project. My laptop came with Windows 10, so I was used to using it.

I probably won’t upgrade to 11 until I have to. Which may be when/if my desktop dies and I can’t get a new one with 10.

Unfortunately, the CPU requirements are significantly harder than “1 Ghz / 2 cores / 64-bit”. It also has to be new, specifically with Spectre and Meltdown mitigations.

List of compatible Intel CPUs:

And AMD:

If you don’t know your CPU model, you can check with CPU-Z (get the ZIP version; it doesn’t need installation):

My CPU is 6 cores, 3.3 GHz, but is way too old (it’s an i7-5xxx series, and the oldest Win11 supported series is i7-8xxx).

I’m also missing a TPM 2.0 module, though my mobo is upgradable to one (it has a socket for a $20 module). But I’m not sure I’m going to bother given the CPU requirement.