Windows 2000 question

Currently I am using Windows 2000 NT as my operating system. All of the Access databases I use, with the exception of one, are made in Access 2000. The oddball database was created in Access 97 and is only accessable by a certain user within our network. This user tells me that he cannot upgrade the database to Access 2000 using the built-in function. With this in mind, I need to be able to use both 2000 and 1997 on the same PC and my PC will not allow me to do so. Each time I open a database that was made in the opposite version that I just had open, it forces me to install the version that particular database was created in. I know this sounds confusing, but I really need a way around this and I figured someone who reads the Straight Dope would certainly know!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Install both Access 97 and 2000 then open the database using the appropriate version?

Both are currently installed on the PC and it still will not allow me to use both simultaneously.

This shouldn’t happen. But without actually being at the PC in question it’s difficult to troubleshoot.

If viable, try converting the rogue database from 97 to 2000 on some other PC. Then try opening the converted database on your PC.

However, in a worst case scenario, and assuming that it is critical to have both versions working on the same pc, you could setup a dual-boot system and have Access 97 running on one partition and Access 2000 on the other partition. Of course, you’d need to reboot between uses.

It’s not clear from the OP, but how are you opening these databases? If you’re just double-clicking the database, Windows will certainly get confused over the file associations. Does it work if you start the appropriate version of Access and use File/Open?

MSAccess is a real pain moving between different versions. One version may use DLLs that don’t work with the other, even though they have the same names.

As xash says, conversion is the best way to go. That user may not have the appropriate file permissions to do the conversion on a network drive. Copying everything to the local machine might help. It did for one of my users.

Good luck!

If you get desperate, you can try to get a hold of Virtual PC for Windows. You can boot up a second copy of Windows running the older version of Access. It should even be close to full speed since there’s no processor emulation to worry about.