Windows 98SE Question

My Dad just bought a Panasonic DV camera and firewire card, and I have been trying to help him get them working.

When I inserted the firewire card the driver installed ok, but I got an error message telling me that “NTKERN.VXD was unable to load the device driver properly [code 2]” in system/device manager. Eventually I found an update on the MS support website, ran it and the problem was solved.

However, although I could now detect the DV camera and see it in System manager, it then had the exact same error “NTKERN.VXD” error.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Is this camera supported under Win98? That file appears to be an NT file.

I have to admit I don’t know, although my web searching brought NTKERN.VXD and 98 up together many times, so I don’t believe they are exclusive.

I know you don’t want to hear the old “try reinstalling the drivers” bit, but that’s what I suggest. Incomplete installs will sometimes cause that error. NTKERN.VXD is a Win 98 file.

I’ve reinstalled the drivers more than once.

No, it’s actually a (shared) Win98 driver file. Win 98SE is pretty old and is sort of mothballed (techsupport wise) at this point. For better firewire support an upgrade to Win ME might be suggested if the hardware has the horsepower for it.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the camera. It’s likely a PCI firewire card issue. If you updated the system from 95 to 98 a full re-install of 98SE from scratch is suggested for full firewire implementation.

Q: How do I verify a successful installation of IEEE 1394 card on Windows?

Win32 Driver Model (WDM)

Whatever you do, do NOT install winME. It’s a buggy, unstable, bloated piece of trash. If you must switch, go for win2k sp3 or winXP sp1.

ME works great for me, YMMV.

Just what kind of camera is this? Make & model & what kind of computer? Model nbr? Having this info makes answering so much easier. If you got USB ports, meritline.com has a neat external USB & FW box for $39.00

astro,

NTKERN.VXD emulates certain NT services, but usually vendors will develop a W9x specific driver anyway, due to compatibility issues.

The camera is a Panasonic GS1B. I really appreciate any help you can give.