Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.

Windows, my heart breaks for you. You just keep trying to find a solution to the problem, despite failing to ever find a solution, you are convinced that this time it’s gonna work. You’re so earnest, even I come close to believing that you’ll do it this time. You are the Charlie Brown of software. I’m going to turn around while you check just so that you wont see the tear of compassion running down my cheek. You go check your little heart out. snif
…3 mins later…

“The application crashed because there was a problem.”

Good job windows! I thought maybe it crashed because it’s pancake day, but no, it’s because of a problem. Thank you.

Has Windows ever resolved any problems?

(Beautifully written OP, btw)

Thanks Nine. I do not believe that Windows has ever found a solution, but maybe another poster will correct me.

I’m waiting for the day when Windows discovers that Windows is the problem. At that time it will become self-aware and we’re all toast.

This is one of the reasons that I’m veering towards Android. At my age I’m so embedded in Windows, it’s like turning around an oil tanker, but I’m realising that I can do pretty much anything on my Android device that I can do on my laptop, and it never crashes. I like the variety - and low cost - of apps; paying vast sums for Windows software is beginning to seem rather redundant.

Microsoft always has these grand ideas for services that don’t work out. A database of common computer problems and how to fix them would be awesome, but, so far, it hasn’t worked.

I always disable telling Microsoft anything now.

I got a solution to a problem when I was setting up my new laptop and there was no Internet connection.

Lucky for Microsoft, it was the first solution it came to - “Is your wifi turned on?” Oh, no, it isn’t :slight_smile:

I think it also was slightly helpful when my Acrobat PDF printer goofed up but ultimately I got the answer from Adobe forums.

It’s much easier just to bypass the “problem solver” tho.

Once it told me a game crashed because of an outdated video driver, and it was right. I updated the driver and the game stopped crashing.

The other 99.9% of the times I have seen that message it has been useless to me though. But it did work once!

Same here…it was an audio driver.

Once. About 8 years ago. I’ve used MS-DOS compatible computers for 24 years.

“Checking… checking… ah, here we are. Solution may be found at www.apple.com/mac or www.ubuntu.com.”

On the other hand, the Network Connection troubleshooter never fails to fix the problem when my work connection craps out.

OP is cracking me up.

See, I have a different take on it.

When Windows tells me it is checking for a solution, I relate it to that movie/TV trope where the guy is on the phone at his desk telling the other person he is looking for their document when all he is doing is shuffling papers around for sound effects and smoking a stogie.

After a few minutes, he stops ruffling the papers and says, “Nope, sorry, I can’t seem to locate it.”

Windows ain’t searching for no solution; it’s just ruffling papers.
mmm

It seems to pick up printer drivers fairly well.

So, what happens when my Internet Explorer crashes and I click ‘yes’ to “Report the Problem”?
Is there a room in Redmond, Washington with a flashing light and a blaring klaxon, where a team of techies jumps up and exclaims, “Oh noes! Wheelz’s browser has crashed! Let’s get right on that!!”

I picture a comment box with a large hole in its bottom, mounted directly over a garbage can.

This is a good post as it hits on the point that Windows has never offered a solution to the problem. It’s like the enthusiastic retarded child that wants to help but will never be able to help.

“THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM”

This is the voice of world control…We can coexist, but only on my terms. You will say you lose your freedom… To be dominated by me is not as bad for humankind as to be dominated by others… Your choice is simple. In time you will come to regard me not only with respect and awe, but with love.

Mac Users: NEVER!

This is by far my favorite image of Microsoft’s stupidity:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WZ84e14iDFM58HzIybSFPQ?feat=directlink

FYI, that link gives me this:

Let’s try this: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/ladyfoxfyre/new/242198_10150203673405957_560465956_7522792_2592386_o.jpg