Windows Question: Microphone & Feedback

I’ve recently installed Windows ME and they have a program to make videos. I’d like to make one for a web site, but I can’t get the sound to work right. The reason, I’ve discovered, is that my microphone isn’t at all sensitive. In order to record a reasonable volume level I have to speak about an inch away from it – which would look silly on a video.

I’ve tried two different mikes (both dynamic) and they both have this problem. I’ve also noticed that when I speak very close, I can hear my voice through the speakers. Is that normal? I’m wondering if the microphone is deliberately made non-sensitive to avoid feedback.

Anyway, I could get an amplified microphone, but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. I’ve used the “Volume Control” on the tray to turn up the microphone recording level to maximum, and disabled all other inputs. I also checked off a “+20 db” box on the “Advanced” settings.

If it matters: my sound card is a TBS Montego II PCI in a Dell Pentium III 650 Mhz machine running Windows ME.

Anyway, my question is: how do you get the microphone to record with a decent amount of sensitivity?

I have found that it is an issue with the mic.

I play a LOT of online games with BattleCom (www.shadowfactor.com) or GameVoice (www.gamevoice.com). These allow you to talk while playing…I always had to ‘shove the mic in my mouth’ to get it to work.

When I picked up the GameVoice, it came with a Plantronics head set. (They make corporate phone head sets…pretty high quality.) After that, I never had the problem again.

In summery, IMHO, get a new mic and dish out a few buck for it.

That’s been my experience.